Alfa romeo sprint 1985 wheels

Started by Fred4007, December 01, 2014, 10:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred4007

Hey i am wondering what is the biggest sized rims i could put on my alfa.

colcol

Welcome to the forum Fred.
How long is a piece of string?, it depends on if the springs are standard or lowered, how much front camber you have on your suspension, what the offset is on your current rim and what your insurance company will tolerate.
Get under the car, and where the wheel and tyre run close to parts, put a blob of plasticine and go for a drive and see if there are marks on the plasticine, to work out how much wider you can go.
Just remember you will change your offset patch and that could lead to driveability issues and handling, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

jazig.k

Hi Fred.
I'm a local Bendigo fella too, I've seen your sprint out the Huntley way I think?

I presume they're 4 stud right? Do they use wheel studs or bolts?
If you want to try on some wheels for size, I have a 16x7.5 ET25 with a pretty big tyre on it [225/50/16 I think], and some 17x7" [et40?] with 215/45's on them. The 16" fits the rear of the GTV fine, and dad drives on the 17's every day [Gunmetal grey, "CMY GTV" number plates].

If the car used wheel bolts, I have 18x7.5 with 215/35 that we could rest on the hubs to check clearances for the sake of trying. Couldn't lower the car onto them but on axle stands we could jack the suspension back up to imitate loading the car up.

On colcol's note. If you plan to lower the car, make that your first step. What fits now is likely not to fit once lowered.

Start with finding a tyre size close to stock diameter or not too much different using a calculator like willtheyfit.com. Take note of the sizes that are similar in overall diameter and make sure they are available to actually buy [ebay cross reference]! You should be able to figure out how big you can go like this. Obviously a low profile 20" will have a diameter that would be heaps bigger than stock so don't bother unless you want to tub the car... I wouldn't be surprised if you could fit 18" with the right tyre and offsets.

Figuring out rear sizes is pretty easy. The front is harder due to steering and travel directions while turned.

Fred4007

Thanks for your response
yes the yellow sprint in huntly is mine lol
i do plan on lowering it as much as legal so ill do that first :)
As i am not really great mechanically yet i dont know what kind of bolts or anything but i know that they are 4 stud
im guessing the best thing to do is get it lowered then take it to a place that sells rims for sizing?

Craig_m67

I don't recommend going too wide myself.
I had 205 x15 (Simmons v5) on my Sud way back in the day.
Sud and the Sprint are effectively the same (I've had two suds and two sprints)

They were way, way too big and I managed to aquaplane myself through the only roundabout in Canberra with trees in it (in front of defence). Car was a write off, tree still bears the impact.

This happened on the 8/8/1988 :)

That was my first Alfa... I've had very little else since :)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Fred4007