Re intro to the Club

Started by Italian Supermodel, September 10, 2014, 01:14:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Italian Supermodel

Hi all,
  joined the club again after a 17 year break.
My first car at 20 was an eight year old Alfetta gt which I owned for 13 years.
Loved driving it every day throughout those years, apart from the 30 day holiday courtesy of Victoria Police after 8 weeks ownership.Ettore Massa at Il bolido rosso had it running like a Swiss watch.
It went a long way in fueling a courtship with a young lady whose first car was a Sprint bought by her loving but nervous father.
Four years later and a baby due the hard word was put to me that a four door car was in order by Ms Sprint. I secumbed, with the only condition being it had to be an Alfa.
Drove a white 164 with baby seat for family and work, but my passion for the marque was slowly eroded every time I slipped the ZF into 'D' and lugged around the place.
The passion returned at a gala day of Italian marques in Lygon st late last year and ever since was on the lookout for first love. Three months ago one of Cinderalla's ugly sisters appeared and ended up on a truck courier from Sydney sight unseen.
Not anywhere like the Supermodel I let slip from my grasp to the fresh faced first viewing buyer.
Delivered was a car that was well represented by the owner but needs a great deal of love and attention devoted to it($$). The 4 weeks of driving(before the end of nsw reg & unroadworthy permit certificate ) was brilliant . Sure no supermodel , and obviously led astray with many scares to show for it in glitzy Sydney but it bought back many fond memories...! The 5 gear stick , rear wheel drive, the lines ... Give me that any time over these anonymous loungerooms on wheels most aspire to today.

Evan Bottcher

Welcome back!

I quite like the 164 auto - I kind of miss mine.  An acquired taste and not for everyone, ultimately not economical to repair when you have to tear the car apart to fix the air con!

Do post some photos of your new love - there's some tips here on how to post photos.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Italian Supermodel

Thanks Evan...
yes the 164 was a terrific car, great comfort levels & a spicy 3ltr front.
  For me it's refreshing and somewhat therapeutic to be back one day enjoying
  the raw pleasure of a 5 stick.
  I drive around looking at the few cars left on the road with steel bumpers.2 out of 300 maybe on a weekday. I'm starting to even 'admire' the longevity of the 60's / 70's Holdens and Fords with their steel ends and trim work!
It may be a two year project because of lack of funds,expertise & secure space but definitely not willingness.

aggie57

Welcome home :)

If you talk nicely to Anthony Sharp he may be able to give you back your old membership number.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

sportyone

Quote from: aggie57 on September 10, 2014, 03:48:27 PM
Welcome home :)

If you talk nicely to Anthony Sharp he may be able to give you back your old membership number.

Now that's what I would like to do too, I rejoined again @ the recent 2014 Melbourne Spettacolo !

My membership & my son's membership lapsed through some torrid times as life sometimes tosses at

you some years back.  how do we contact Anthony Sharp ?

alfamisa

Quote from: sportyone on December 07, 2014, 10:55:35 PMMy membership & my son's membership lapsed through some torrid times as life sometimes tosses at

you some years back.  how do we contact Anthony Sharp ?

Details here;
Anthony Sharp (Membership Secretary) 0400 596 004 or membership@alfaclubvic.org.au
You can also find this on the "contacts" list on AROCA VIC website;
http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/about/contacts/
Ciao
The Alfa Romeo heritage "rinascimento" (renaissance) continues in each and every new model...the first "rinascimento" being 1915.

sportyone

thanks Misa,

I just enquired with Anthony & found the club records apparently don't go back very far,

well, not much longer than 10 years apparently ?  :(

doesn't appear there are any benefits of being a long standing member anyway ?

cheers,

Neil Choi

Quote from: sportyone on December 08, 2014, 03:48:34 PM

doesn't appear there are any benefits of being a long standing member anyway ?

cheers,

Excuse my, perhaps, misinterpretation.  What do you mean by this?

The club is what YOU make it to be.  I haven't been a long time member and I haven't gotten or taken much from the club but have put in just a tiny little bit.

You pay $60 odd for a membership and get a whole lot of stuff ie 6 magazines annually, organized runs, meetings, workshops, etc etc etc.  Don't know what else you expect or want from your $60

Mick A

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: Neil Choi on December 08, 2014, 09:57:23 PM
Excuse my, perhaps, misinterpretation.  What do you mean by this?

I think what sportyone was saying is it doesn't really matter if he has his original membership number or not - given the records don't go back that far.  You don't really get any special recognition, apart from being able to compare numbers :)

I don't think he was questioning the value of being a club member or helping out.

Welcome back to the club sportyone.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Barry Edmunds

Hi Sportyone, Glad to see you come to the family. Hope to see you at club events. Join in and have some fun with fellow club members. Remember, we all share the same passion for the Cross & Serpent.