Dashboard Clock from 86' GTV6

Started by Sir Lancelot, April 28, 2008, 10:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Lancelot

Ok, here's a new one for you... first the adjuster on the clock stopped working (cog problem), and now I've determined the clock motor doesn't work either. I'm pretty sure I can put the clock back together to get the adjuster working, but I do have a few questions:

1. Anyone with a second hand clock in any sort of working condition? I may need one cog, and obviously another clock motor.
2. I've pulled the clock apart and put it back together - all but one spring! Can anyone identify where this spring goes? Spring size is about 10mm x 2.5mm
3. Something mystifies me here. I get how all the cogs connect to move the hour, minute and second hands. However, there is a green cog directly attached to the clock motor, which then turns a small white cog - these two don't actually turn anything! Unless I've put it together incorrectly, which seems unlikely since I can't see how it would otherwise fit together, why would these two cogs be here if they don't drive anything? any ideas?
4. There is a hole in the plastic directly above the clock motor cog - why would this be here? does it play some part I'm unaware of?

I've tried to show this in the attached pictures.
I realise it's easier just to buy a 2nd hand clock, but I'd like to see if I can fix this, and perhaps save some $$

Simon Aarons

Hey Alex,

I am guessing it is just a matter of time before the clock in my car does the same as yours! Every now and then the clock will freeze up when i start the car. Sometimes it starts working again after 30 seconds or sometimes takes hours! But when it is frozen i can hear a noise which is the clock wanting to turn but the second hand wont move.

Also my speedo sometimes decides it doesnt want to work until i hit the dash - then it goes crazy and spins all the way upto 240 and sits back at the speed i am travelling! hahaha.. crazy! Sorry i am no help at all regards fixing the clock but thought i would share this with you.