To paint or not to paint?

Started by DAMO1A, July 19, 2014, 04:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAMO1A

My Sud is looking very presentable after a bit of polish.  From a distance it looks unblemished.  However up close the bonnet has stone chips and there are other minor marks around the body.

I am considering whether it is time for a re-spray to make it look like new.  My only doubt is that the 30 years worth of stone chips and bumps give the car a certain amount of character.

Should I persist with polished imperfection or investigate a new paint job?
2015 Giulietta QV TCT
1990 Alfa Spider Series 4

colcol

It depends on what you want to do with it, if it is to put away in a garage in a carcoon as a show car, then go ahead and do a respray, if it is going to be driven on the weekends in Alfa Club runs, then leave it as it is, as you are relunctant to take it out, when the paintwork is perfect, and the Sud is a stand out car, not many around now, haven't seen one on the road for years.
If that old Italian Rust issue starts to appear, then you may consider a respray, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Craig_m67

Slippery slope .....  While you're in there ;D
(Double your budget and then some)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Garibaldi

What a lovely car. You don't see many in this condition. I would leave it the way it is. As Col said if you want to drive it regularly I wouldn't repaint it. :)

Evan Bottcher

Uneconomical to paint, and far too embarrassing to drive in its current condition. You should sell it to me :-P
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Sportscar Nut

Your car looks great as is Damo but as said, depends what your after.

Will be a slippery slippery slope but all good fun. Nothing economic about owning a nice Sud (or Alfa for that matter)??

Cheers
Paul

Frank Musco

Don't paint it...drive it!

It looks beautiful, I wish mine looked that good.

MD

A respray may reduce its maximum potential resale value because it raises the question.

What is the seller hiding?
Has it been in a smash repair?
Is rust being covered up?
Is the base paint sun affected?
etc.

With an original paint job, what you see is what you get which inspires confidence and trust in the vendor.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

DAMO1A

Some sage advice.  Thank you. I think I will keep it original for now and reconsider further down the road.
2015 Giulietta QV TCT

VeeSix

If you do resprays yourself, why not, it's just going to make the paint job perfect and for little cost, if not the cost of a respray these days is not financially viable, you could purchase two more nice Suds for the price, looks way too good to pay for a respray, paint condition versus paying for a respray  :)
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 V6 2.5 12V 
1986 Alfa Romeo 90 V6 2.5 12V
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 V6 3.0 12V Potenziata
1990 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V Zender
1991 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV
1992 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV

Martinsifredi

Hello Damo,

If you are using it often it may be a better idea to get some stone chip touch ups done and a cut and polish followed by a nice coating of sealer and Wax to help prevent further damage from the elements including high levels of RED fading UV light in summer.
If you are interested I can offer to do a series of stone chip touch ups and get the paint job up to a high standard. 

Kind regards,

Martin Sifredi
MartinSifredi
Classic and Modern
Concours Automobile Presentation
Ph 0425 735 814

DAMO1A

Thanks Martin.  I'm in Sydney but if I come down to Spettacolo in Nov I might get you to have a look at it. Damo
2015 Giulietta QV TCT

RobertRame

The catch is that none of us really has any idea what paint is currently on your tractor.  If it has never been repainted, the advise above is good.  If not, well, good luck.