Heater Box

Started by adriank, April 22, 2008, 12:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adriank

Hi guys am off work sick so forgive me posting a few too many times this week.

I have recently bought a 1600 Junior (body is good - at least for now) and am doing all the fiddly bits since i am fussy i like everything to work at it would have in 1974. One of these things is the heater.

My radiator is a little scummed (brown crap op the cap and liquid for one) up so i be flushing/cleaning it and hoping that will fix the problem. However odds are that the solution wont be that simple.

The fan works but are there any other tips from people more experienced that i should do to work out initially if water is even circulating?

Thanks Adrian.
'74 GT 1600 Junior
'00 Kawasaki W650 (daily drive)

Colin Byrne

-Sounds like the heater tap is closed so check that the control cables are actually connected to the tap

-An easy way to check if water is circulation through the heater system is take of the two heater pipes (1 off the water pump and 1 off the back of the head), shove the garden hose down one end and check if water comes out the other. 

-the heater taps on these cars are notoriously bad and beginning to get very hard to find

-doubt if the condition of the radiator will have anything to do with the heater not working.  If the radiator is blocked you'll have bigger problems than the heater not working!!!
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

adriank

Ok all sorted. Heater tap is ok (looks pretty new actually.) and heater works - ended up gutting the interior today since i need to do headling, carpet & redo cracked dash.

Turns out I am missing a vent which goes up to the front left (pasenger side) screen demister.

adrian

'74 GT 1600 Junior
'00 Kawasaki W650 (daily drive)