Long time dedicated club member Peter Game retires

Started by Neil Choi, April 18, 2008, 11:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil Choi

Hi members and Alfisti's

It was certainly a pleasant surprise to read, in the Herald Sun on Thursday, about our long time club member Peter Game retiring. 
I was not aware of his dedication to journalism and outstanding achievements.  If I had only known I would have asked him to write the competition reports.  It is certainly a pleasure to have such a distinct professional as a club member.
Since my involvement with AROCA competition, I met Peter through his constant involvement in officiating at our sprint events.  Come rain, hail or shine, Peter would only be too willing to stand out, usually at Start/Finish at Sandown or Phillip Island or dummy grid at Winton and help out all day.  Peter has been an invaluable member to competition events and always attends club meetings.  I wish him all the happiness in his retirement and with the extra time available, I can only see more of his involvement at our events. 

So from me and all the competitors in AROCA, happy retirement, Peter.

From the Herald Sun Thursday 17 April 2008

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23551660-2862,00.html

Newshound Peter Game gives up game after 61 years

April 17, 2008 12:00am

ONE of the great newspaper stories of the Herald and Weekly Times came to a close yesterday with the retirement of senior journalist Peter Game.

A professional to the end, Game, 81, filed his final copy last night for today's edition.

It ended a career spanning almost 61 years and one that covered some of the world's biggest events.

Game said he had been lucky to be able to indulge his love of writing and newspapers in a career that was varied and at times exciting.

"I'll miss the excitement of it all. The daily buzz of the newsroom. And being in the middle of it all," he said.

"I have interviewed fascinating people around the world and in Australia, and have worked with some great journalists."

Hired by Herald and Weekly Times chairman Sir Keith Murdoch, a fresh-faced Peter began as a cadet on The Herald in December 1947 writing the shipping column for three pounds a week.

He cut his teeth covering suburban courts and police rounds.

Game recalls his first published story: "It was a great thrill for me, but not so good for the subject, who was an unfortunate worker who slipped into a bath of acid."

He worked in The Herald's Sydney office and returned to Melbourne as a general reporter. In 1956 he was sent to the London bureau, working in Fleet St.

Back in Melbourne, he spent more time "chasing cops and robbers", then became deputy chief of staff in 1960 and chief of staff in 1962.

Four years later he was appointed assistant to the then editor, Archer Thomas.

One of his proudest and happiest times was filing stories from Antarctica in 1970.

He later wrote the In Black and White column and then tackled feature writing and investigative reporting.

His landmark story was his expose of the Khemlani loans affair that played a major part in the fall of the Whitlam Labor government in 1975.

He won a Walkley Award for his reportage.

Another expose had Game revealing drug links between the Calabrian mafia and Italian migrants in Griffith, NSW.

And he also revealed cancer guru Milan Brych as a quack. Again, Game received awards honouring his reporting skills.

After The Herald folded in 1990, he became the leader writer on the newly formed Herald Sun.

When Game turned 65, he retired for a couple of weeks but returned as a contributor.

Tributes flowed yesterday.

Herald Sun editor-in-chief Bruce Guthrie yesterday praised Game's stellar career.

"Peter's contributions to journalism and, in particular, the seismic events of the mid-'70s, are well documented," Mr Guthrie said.

"He's inspired generations of journalists with his absolute dedication to accuracy, fairness and balance.

"What is most endearing about him, however -- and what we'll miss most -- is his incredible passion for the job."

Herald and Weekly Times managing director Peter Blunden said Peter's longevity in journalism was matched only by his passion for the newspaper industry.

"His professionalism, dedication and calmness under pressure have made him an integral part of our company for decades," Mr Blunden said.

"His editorials were always thoughtful and incisive, and his long and rewarding career should be a shining inspiration for today's young journalists."

Game was officially farewelled by friends, family and colleagues at the Herald Sun's offices in Southbank last night.

His achievements include the Melbourne Press Club Lifetime Achievement Award in 2000, and in 2006 he was made an honorary life member of the Australian Journalists' Association.

In his retirement, Game will spend more time sailing on Albert Park Lake.

An Alfa Romeo aficionado, he is a licensed track marshal for speed trials conducted by the Alfa Romeo Owners' Club.

He and his wife of 55 years, Betty, can also look forward to enjoying their other loves -- Melbourne's arts scene and travel.

alfagtv58

Best of luck in your retirement Peter, it would be great to hear some of the stories you have to tell at a club night some time soon.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti