Windscreen washer

Started by bendover, October 12, 2014, 12:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bendover

I cam to use the windscreen washer only to find it does not work. I cleaned out the holes on the bonnet. I then found no water was getting pumped.

Any ideas how to fix it , please.

colcol

Windscreen washer pumps are a problem on these, flick the washer pump on with the wiper switch and listen for the pump making a noise.
If no noise, check fuse box for blown fuse, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

bendover

Cheers mate, no noise, will check fuses.

Garibaldi

If it is not the fuses then it will be the washer pump motor. I replaced mine last year, you can easily pick one up off eBay. They are not the easiest to change over. You need to pull the the washer reservoir out to change the motor. That's the easy part. Getting it back in is a little more difficult as you have to be a contortionist to reconnect the little plastic pipes. It also helps if you soak the ends in boiling water to soften them up before reconnecting them. Make sure that it is all working properly before you finish reinstalling it as it easy to reconnect the pies to the wrong outlets and have it working the opposite way.

Craig_m67

Mine stopped working so I pulled it apart, cleaned it up with some WD40 and jobs a good'un.  It all just clip fits together, so if your careful with some small hand tools and can get it apart without breaking it, it's pretty obvious and easy to clean up and reassemble.  If you do break it you've lost nothing :)

I've done two now, Golf and the 156. Beats paying +$50./ for another one.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

colcol

Craig, plus the satisfaction of fixing something, as opposed to throwing it away, and learning how things work, ....or don't, always use some good quality washer fluid in the reservoir to lubricate the gears as opposed to hard water, the cheaper washer fluids can cause rust and paint staining and don't use dishwashing liquid, keep it for the SPAM, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Garibaldi

Quote from: colcol on October 12, 2014, 07:50:39 PM
Craig, plus the satisfaction of fixing something, as opposed to throwing it away, and learning how things work, ....or don't, always use some good quality washer fluid in the reservoir to lubricate the gears as opposed to hard water, the cheaper washer fluids can cause rust and paint staining and don't use dishwashing liquid, keep it for the SPAM, Colin.
Col, what about the satisfaction of smashing something because its given you major grief.  >:(

bendover

Smashing something, i would never do that. I might slightly hurt something, well ok i have smashed things, but it felt good at the time.

I used to have a Rangie. This thing was , well annoying isnt really the right word, but i learned to fix it and now i am doing that with the 147.