Alfasud Ti Qv indicator stalk

Started by herbyj, October 01, 2014, 01:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

herbyj

Hi
I'm after an indicator stalk/lever for my Sud as it's on the way out.
They are also used on the Sprint, they control the indicators and the head lights.

I don't think they can be repaired so I need a replacement part.

I'd prefer an unused stalk but I'm willing to look at used.

Alternatively, does anyone know of a part supplier who might have one for sale.

Please PM me with details.

Jonathan

colcol

Hello Jonathon, these are a real problem area for Suds, there is too much current running through them and the connectors burn, the best thing to do is put a relay on all the components, to take the load off the switches.
Try Italian Automotive Spares in Brunswick or Monza Motors may have a combination switch.
They are not the easiest part to get in and out of the dahboard, steering wheel and shrouds have to come out, as does the instrument binnacle to unplug the wires.
This was the one area Alfa Romeo learnt their lesson and improved it on the next model, the 33, not entirely fault free, but the wands last 15-20 years before they give trouble, unlike the Sud which give trouble after a couple of years, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

herbyj

Hi
I've found one in UK but it's secondhand.
This part seems to be fragile and wears out quickly and I wonder about the wisdom of buying a used part?
I'll try to find a new one but I'll buy this one if I can't find a new one.
Jonathan

colcol

The late model Sprints also used the same combination switch, when the Sprint went to the 33 based car, regrettably they didn't use the same improved, but still not good enough electrical system as the 33, but the Sud / Sprint electrics were basic and easy enough to fix, even the heater fan works off the combi stalks, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Sportscar Nut

Jonathon

The indicator/ heater stalks do last if looked after but Col is spot on as the lights are wired through the unit. Re s/h stalk, they typically develop 'slack' in the stalks but should be tight with no free play.

There are at least three different Alfa part numbers and main difference is in the indicator cancelling but think S3 Suds had the same stalk. NOS unit should not be too hard to find if you ring around as plenty of NOS parts in Aust, UK & Italy.

Paul

colcol

Thats another thing that fails on these, that is the self cancelling clip/assembly/plastic springy thing/clip that breaks....well you get the idea.
Not only do the contacts burn, but the plastic that holds the contacts in, break and crack, and thats, why for example the lights won't stay on because the contacts won't, well contact, cause the plastic has broken, if you can get a New, Old, Stock, get 2 as you will use it.
Did you try Italian Automotive Spares in Brunswick?, they seem to know where to get parts from, Colin.

Sportscar Nut

The stalks are not great quality but do last if looked after. The stalks have been in my car for 22 years so reckon that's not bad!

Paul

colcol

Yours have been in 22 years, but its not a daily driver, any idea where to get new combi switches?, Colin.

herbyj

Hi
I found one, new, on Ebay Italy.
It was a bit expensive, $350 plus including delivery but I needed it!
The cars coming together, new muffler with twin chrome tips, new tyre etc etc.
I can't wait to get it out on the road.
Jonathan

colcol

When you get your new combiswitch, you might want to consider putting relays on at least the headlights and wipers, to not only make them work better, but take the load off those fragile connectors.
$350 is not too bad, to get the car up and running.
Don't forget about putting it in Spectacolo in November at Wesley, Colin.