147 GTA driver's seat fastenings

Started by tjb0274, August 24, 2014, 05:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjb0274

Spent some time today investigating some of the small things I've found with my newly acquired GTA. I noticed during the test drive that there was a slight rattle coming from the driver's seat, but thought no more about it.

I've now discovered that the seat doesn't seem to be fixed to the runner at the left front, and the rattle is that corner of the seat lifting slightly. A quick comparison with the passenger seat suggests that there should be a stud sticking up from the runner, and that the seat should be fixed to that with a nut. It's hard to see exactly, but checking by feel it seems like the hole is there on the driver's seat, but that there's no stud.

Also discovered that the driver's seat doesn't run forward on the runners when the catch is opened to allow access to the rear seats. The seat back hinges forwards correctly, but the seat base doesn't move.

Tentative hypothesis is that someone removed the seat to try and fix the latter issue, and didn't put it back together properly.

I can live with the rear seat access restricted to the passenger side, but I'd really like the driver's seat to be properly fixed in place. So, I'm guessing I need to take the seat out and source a replacement stud/nut. Anyone know how easy the seat is to remove? I'm guessing that there may be air bag actuation stuff to disconnect, and I'm not sure how to get the seat off the end of the runner (or whether there's sufficient space with the steering wheel in place, and I'm not anxious to try removing that!).
Current:
1970/1990 Ricciardi-Alfa (track/occasional weekend car)
2003 147 GTA (daily driver)
1969 Lotus Europa (weekend toy)
2003 Peugeot 206gti (retired daily driver)

Past:
1971 1750 GTV
More Fiat 850s than I can count

colcol

You need to fix this issue as soon as possible, cause if you have an accident then the seat will break away from its mounting.
If it like a 156, then the seat frame is held to the floor by four 8mm bolt, have a look on the other side.
Replace the bolt and see how it works and if it will slide forward on the runners.
If it won't slide, then with all the rockin and rollin, the seat frame is bent and needs to be taken out and straightened or replaced, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

tjb0274

Hi Colin - thanks for replying :)  Agreed that it's something to sort ASAP.

So, an 8mm bolt mounted with the head down, presumably?  Hmm, sounds like it would be tricky to get it in there.

I was a little unclear in my original explanation - the seat moves fine on the runners when adjusting for position, it just doesn't unlock when the rear access catch is pulled, which doesn't bother me that much.

Tim
Current:

Past:
1971 1750 GTV

colcol

If it is anything like a 156, then you can access the bolt heads by sliding the seat back, the bolt head is accessable from inside the car, i have done it to my 156 to fit a fire extinguisher to the front of the seat, but then again the GTA has a different seat to a standard 156.
The access catch which may be connected to a cable or lever, may have come loose or broken and is not actuating the mechanism, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

colcol

I should have pointed out in an earlier post that the four 8mm bolts are cap screws, that is internal wrenching that will require a 6mm hexagon key, if sourcing a new cap screw, make sure you get a good quality one, such as Unbreako or brand name, not Chinese sourced copy, you need top quality fasteners that won't break in an impact, Colin.

tjb0274

Just to close this off, bolt is now replaced with correct factory item, and seat feels very solid. Much head scratching over why/how the bolt was missing in the first place, though.
Current:

Past:
1971 1750 GTV