Help/Advice needed - 159 Wont start

Started by gboy00, August 21, 2014, 11:14:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gboy00

Hi All,

Im hoping i can call on the collective knowledge of the group and get some ideas on why last night my Alfa 159 all of a sudden would not start.

I have a 2007 ALfa Romeo 159 ti Selespeed which i purchased about 2 years ago. To date it has not given me any significant trouble. Until now!

Last night I got in, key in the ignition and went to start. Nothing. The accessories, lights and dash all lit up as you would normally expect it to on start. The car turned over and initially started though then spluttered and conked out after a couple of seconds of rough idling. I tried again and it would again start, turn over though the engine would not take and start up.

I recently had it serviced and there were a couple if items raised though none that was of any concern. They were the news that the battery tested a little low on cold cranking amps though i do not believe this to be the issue as the accessories and turn over of the engine seems fine. I also attempted to jump start it just in case and still had no luck.

The second issue that i have is that the steering lock sensor/ecu is not working. Im told i need a new ECU and until i get that the steering lock will not work. Not a big one for me when i was told as if its just the steering lock i can put up with it in place of the $1300 i was estimated an ECU replacement to cost.

ANy ideas? Im hoping that it is a loose connection of some sort but not sure where to look! Currently the car is stuck in my driveway. Next step is to get roadside assistance around to have a look and see if they can decipher it.

Many thanks guys to any help you may be able to provide.

Paul Gulliver

I had similar problems with my 159 a few years ago  . The first place I would be looking at would be the battery. Modern cars have to fire up a lot of electronics when you start them . If there is not enough juice in the battery , you start getting intermittent faults. I hope it is as simple as  a new battery.

Gully
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

kaleuclint

Quote from: Paul Gulliver on August 21, 2014, 04:02:44 PM
The first place I would be looking at would be the battery.

+1

Had three batteries replaced under warranty in the past couple of years (Alfa twice).  They have a three year life it seems before they become incapable of cranking the engine over.  I'd be surprised if it's anything else.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

colcol

Hope you sort out your problems with your 159 gboy, there will be a Garage Workshop visit on October 11th, Saturday at 9am-11am at Alex Donnini, 849 Dandenong rd. East Malvern, were they will be looking at the ownership of the 159 series, Brera and Spider.
Book early as the last technical session was booked out 2 weeks before the event, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

kaleuclint

Since the entry above, my OEM battery (in accordance with tradition) has died after three years.  Getting a Varta E44 to replace the Alfacare made in China one, and getting an Antigravity micro battery too.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

Cool Jesus

Yep, it's battery. The signs are all there, It's been tested low, get it changed.
Steering lock, hmmm I'll scratch my head a little longer on a solution for that one.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Cool Jesus

Should have mentioned it earlier, but I wouldn't be jump starting the 159 mate. If it hasn't happened yet, then thank your lucky stars, but you risk frying the electrics. Read up on it, actually there's a recent thread on here about RACV giving a blanket 'no jump start' to our Alfas.

Now, with the steering lock, are there any other symptoms, noises, visual aids of the issue? How did it come to light that the steering lock was bust? or were you unaware until service mech told you?
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

As the day goes

Quote from: Cool Jesus on November 06, 2014, 08:50:41 AM
Should have mentioned it earlier, but I wouldn't be jump starting the 159 mate. If it hasn't happened yet, then thank your lucky stars, but you risk frying the electrics. Read up on it, actually there's a recent thread on here about RACV giving a blanket 'no jump start' to our Alfas.

From posting on Alfaowner, jump starting a 159 is not a problem.  156's had an issue.

Craig_m67

Ive jump started my 156 and used it to jump start other cars, never an issue?
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)