Gt jts engine rebuild

Started by dc_cudi, July 26, 2014, 11:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dc_cudi

Hey,

Recently had a few issues with my 2007 alfa Gt 2.0 JTS therefore engine requires a rebuild. Problem was that the piston blew straight through the block. Probably due to actions of previous owner. Does anyone have any experience in engine rebuilds, is it better to try and patch things up or scrap it all together and put a new motor in? How much would a new engine cost? Any ideas of the best place to find a new or used engine?

Thanks

Craig_m67

You won't be rebuilding it if something has exited the block!

Find a good second hand engine.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Cool Jesus

Yeah I agree. It would be more cost effective to transplant another engine. I think I noticed a JTS recently on eBay for $1200. Not sure if terms were on exchange, if not you could then pull the dead engine apart for usable spares if not experience
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

colcol

dc, i notice that you are in Melbourne, contact Hugh Harrison at Monza Wreckers, [9720-4442], about a good second hand JTS motor, and before it goes in your car, put a new waterpump and timing kit in it, while the motor is out for good measure, the old motor is cactus, you get good second hand motors, cheaper than you will fix one for, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

dc_cudi

Thanks for the responses.

ATM seems as though there is the possibility to try and salvage parts of my engine or scrap it all together and replace it, just didn't know where to look for a good second hand engine.

Mick A

As Colin said, Monza Motors in Bayswater. 9720 4442

I know for a fact they have a good S/H JTS motor there which you can have fitted on a changeover basis where they will get to keep the old motor.

Forget about the old motor, it isn't worth fixing if it's thrown a rod.

dc_cudi

perfect, thanks, ill give them a call today to enquire.

dc_cudi

this might seem like a really stupid question but would i have to get a JTS motor to replace it, or would i be able to get away with using a different alfa motor? as it seems as though the JTS motors are hard to come by.  thanks

Craig_m67

It will take longer be harder and more expensive to fit anything else but the same motor (type) that your car currently has.   Just get the same motor (type) again and or scrap the car and start again.  Sorry.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

colcol

If you get a JTS Engine from Monza Motors, it will go straight in, if you get a Twin Spark motor, you will have to change all the computers and wiring looms and gearbox, as they are different.
For insurance and registration, it has to be the correct motor for that car as it has been Australian Design Rule compliant.
Have a look at the Blues Brother film from 1980, when the 74 Dodge 'throws a rod', it makes such a noise, Jake asks 'What the fu#k was that?', sorry about that, love the term 'thrown a rod', Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

dc_cudi

So I need some advice. I bought my car for around 12k 9 months ago, 2007 gt 2.0 JTS, I've been quoted roughly 5-6K in order to replace the motor install it etc. what are peoples thoughts? I'm trying to figure out whether it's actually worth fixing. What would a car like mine be worth for parts? Thanks

colcol

If you are going to get a motor reconditioned, new pistons, rings, rebore, hone, etc then you are looking at a few thousand dollars, i would get a good secondhand motor with a warranty and have the wrecker put it in, so if it won't start or run then its their problem, get a firm price for supply and installation of motor.
If you have never changed a motor before, then i would pick something a bit easier to learn on, and if you put the motor in and it won't run, then its your problem.
These JTS and Twin Spark motors nip up bearings and throw rods out the side of blocks when you run them out of oil, check the oil level on a weekly basis, Colin.

ANG156

No point trying to turn it into a v6 when its not.

So you paid $12,000 for it 9 months ago. Add $6000 for an engine install and you are at $18000.

Try and sell it as is and you will be lucky to get $2000 IMO. JTS have no big brakes, less desired wheels etc so its not really worth someone buying it other than a wrecker but he will give you nothing for it.

That leaves you with two options -1) keep your car or 2) buy another car and keep the GT at home and part it out yourself to offset your cost.

Depending what cars you are into you will probably be looking at spending $10000 - $15000, this means you will have spent $22 - $27K in a year on two cars. You can offset the cost of this by wrecking your car but don't expect to get top dollar for parts as an independent. My theory is when wrecking one of your own cars is to accept a $10 loss and move stuff quickly rather than having it sit and wait for the extra dollars. Sounds bad but as a private guy its the way to go.

If you buy a new car then you still need to add service costs etc. Whereas if you fix yours then you could get all the cambelts changed, oil, auxiliary belts, tensioners etc practically all mechanically new. Buying another used car can also out you into the same situation.

BTW where did you buy your GT from and did you get it looked at pre-purchase or even once you bought it?

ANG156

Quote from: colcol on July 30, 2014, 05:04:09 PM
These JTS and Twin Spark motors nip up bearings and throw rods out the side of blocks when you run them out of oil, check the oil level on a weekly basis, Colin.

Hence why I run good quality oil in my TS. Went to 2 Autobarns to buy 5 bottles of 10W60 Castrol Edge yesterday at 25% off retail -  that $20 saving per 5 litre. All stocked for a year for both me and my sisters car. Good oil is the key. My 156 200,000 kms and no camshaft wear whatsoever not to mention its a sillyspeed and I drive it like i stole it most off the time.

colcol

The JTS motors are more prone to wearing out camshafts, due to the oil dilution problems these JTS motors suffer from, the twin spark motors don't have direct injection, therefor the oil stays cleaner, but both engines won't tolerate low engine oil levels.
If you have a JTS engine and do a lot of city driving, change the oil at 5,000klms.
Alfa Romeo recomend 10-40 for the twin spark and 10-60 for the JTS as the JTS has a different piston ring design, that burns a bit more oil.
The early JTS, like mine has 10-40 as the recomended oil, but a spate of engine failures made Alfa Romeo upspec the oil to 10-60, Colin.