156 boot not unlocking

Started by namron, July 11, 2014, 05:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

namron

ok so had some one crash up the back of my car last week just got my car back yesterday all fixed but went to unlock the boot with the key button and it wont unlock i hear a click sound but but dose not unlock it dose unlock if i use the lever at the side of my seat or use the key and turn why is it doing this is there a easy fix or should i take it back to get looked at 

if i press the button when the boot is open i here a kinda ticking sound coming from the roof of the boot

colcol

I would take it back to the Body shop that almost fixed your car, as there is something out of adjustment.
The boot stops and rubber seals should be tight, so that when the boot lever is clicked, the tension should flick the boot lid up, when you put the key in the boot and turn it, you should feel the boot open a bit and then the gas struts will help the boot lift.
Before you take it back, hose around the boot lid openings, and open the boot to see if there is any water in it, as it may be out of whack and not sealing properly, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

bazzbazz

Agree with Col.

Also get them to check if all the wiring is plugged back together correctly, many smash repairers wouldn't know what plug goes where in unfamiliar makes, betcha someone's forgotten to plug one of the connectors back in.

Just for reference, the wiring goes from the release solenoid along back of car to the right, round & up onto the shelf beneath the rear parcel shelf. There it goes to the receiver & power relay on that metal shelf.
Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

colcol

If there is a clicking sound when you push the key, then its not an electrical problem, its an adjustment problem with the cable, and there should be a bit of tension on the boot lid, so you have to put a bit of effort to shut it, so that its sitting tight on the 2 rubber stops, so the boot lid doesn't rattle and squeek over bumps and when you press the key, the boot lid flicks open, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Campbeli

Had a similar problem recently (without the crash at the back), google the problem and found some info on the ABB. What worked for me was that the plastic cover over the boot latch had already fallen off ( won't seem to stay on actually) so I was able to work through the ski hatch from the back seat, connect all my sock drive set extenders together and was able to undo the "Keeper". One the boot was open I could reset the lock, refit the keeper and all good again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Present:
1970 GT Junior
2004 147 T Spark

Past:
1979 Alfetta GT
1978 Alfasud ti
1999 156 T spark

Future:
New Giulia.......

bazzbazz

Campbeli, I've had to do the same myself once, but this is a different problem, as his WILL open with the mechanical lever by the seat.

And Col is quite right, if you can hear the solenoid operating, its most likely an adjustment. My apologies, was being distracted by my teenage son talking to me about his Golf GTi when reading your post & missed the part about the clicking.   ::)

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au