My 147 floats like a boat

Started by wade, July 12, 2014, 05:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig_m67

I have Bilstien B6's on mine with std springs. It's firmer than a firm thing on a firm day.  Amazing at speed though, transformed the car.  If I did it again I'd probably just go with B4's but then I'm getting old, see if you can drive somebody's car with each setup to feel the change.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

wade

Ok interesting, so the OEM springs are ok? I would have thought that soft spring rates were the cause of the roll ....glad to be wrong, a much cheaper exercise to fix

Craig_m67

Springs are fine. I had nearly 1/2 tonne of drainage gravel in the back of my Sportwagon a few weeks back. No problem. Didn't bottom out either. Fantastic cars when maintained and loved
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

wade

Great to know, thx

I must admit I'm sort of finding it hard to feel the love for the girl. Feels more like just a daily rather than something I could get passionate about.

Maybe my expectations were just too high, probably nothing could live up to the hype that surrounds Alfa's as a drivers car

But my other cars just seem more involving.... Clio 172 (owned from new, now primarily a track car), 1989 mx5 and a BMW 740il.

Anyway, hopefully with some better dampers, DS2500 pads and ad08r's I will start to be converted.

Thanks all for your advice

Alfa156Melb1

I've driven a couple of standard Clio Sports and a properly setup 156 (or 147) is miles ahead and loads more involving.. Having said that, I loved both the Clio's - fun cars!

I've also driven a stock standard 156 Twin Spark and I thought it was woeful.. It's factory setup leaves a lot to be desired.  It was vague and floaty.. Car had done 30,000kms, so nothing was worn out.

Pep is right.. get yourself some Eibach Pro Kits, and some Bilstein B6 dampers and you will want to drive your car 24/7...! :)

Also, even if your suspension is silent, at this age they are almost certainly tired and these cars are very sensitive to tired suspension... another thing, a wheel alignment can make a massive difference - often as much as night and day - so I'd consider doing that too. nice and cheap.

As far as suspension upgrades go, don't buy locally - check out Alfisti.net over in Germany - they seem to have the best prices for Bilstien:  http://shop.alfisti.net/Tuning-Styling/Alfa-156/Suspensions:::1_15_16.html - their prices include VAT, which we don't pay so take that into account... they're ultra reliable and honest.

You won't be disappointed.. I love them so much now I have two! :)

poohbah

Wade, before you give up on alfas, get behind the wheel of something with a busso V6 in it. I promise you the sound alone will get you hooked.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

rocklogic

I had fitted the koni + eibach combo on my 2010 Alfa 147 (since traded in for a Giulietta QV). Purchased the kit from Alfisti.net, and was very pleased with the price and speed of delivery.

Handling improved by miles on end, ride much much firmer, and the car was more confident.

I had an ultra racing strut fitted as well mid 2013, which improved handling even more.

Here's an off-site link to Ausalfa, where I had documented a little of what I had done to the car.

http://www.ausalfa.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4056
2010 Alfa Romeo 147 2.0TS Rosso Red

past: 2000 Alfa Romeo 156 Selespeed TS

Davidm1600

I kind of can confirm much of the above advice re suspension improvements.  I have a '03 156 sportwagon.  When I bought it, it had 89500 on the clock.  It wallowed quite a bit in comparison to what I had expected (nothing too bad though), but in comparison to the missus BMW 318Is it sure took a bit of getting used to.

Over the next 20-30K kms it slowly deteriorated.  To the point being it would bottom out (especially in the rear) when loaded with gear.   I ended up shopping around (can't say I have bought from Alfisti) but instead settled on EB Spares in the UK. Their website is easy to use.   They were extremely helpful with advice and their prices are very comparable to anyone else out there, from memory when I last looked.   

I went for the B4s rather than the B6 on the advice that I wasn't after a track car but simply use my car for normal road use.  Ditto the same reasoning not to go for the Eibach setup.  I have a mate who went down the road with Eibach springs, coil overs, upgraded sway bar, B6s etc and sure it corners superbly, but it is such a hard and unforgiving ride.  When sitting in the rear of his car it was aweful.  The owner loves how it handles but equally said to me if he were to upgrade his suspension setup he wouldn't have gone with such lower and firm suspension (and its not cheap).  The B4s on the other hand arrived to my door, and cost a little over $400.  They only took 3-5days to arrive from the UK.   

I have also replaced both the top and lower control arms and drop links and again this too has significantly sharpened up the turn in, and overall feel of the front end, but havn't changed the springs from standard nor sway bar/sway bar rubber bushes to urethane ones. The good news is now no bumps, squeaks or clunks anymore.  I am happy.   

Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: wade on July 15, 2014, 06:09:55 PM
But my other cars just seem more involving.... Clio 172 (owned from new, now primarily a track car), 1989 mx5 and a BMW 740il.

Nice stable, almost my perfect collection (in addition to my Alfas).   

I'd be wary about judging all Alfas as drivers cars on the experience of a 147 5dr.  I wouldn't judge a Clio 172 on the basis of driving a Clio 1.4.  Or a BMW 740iL on the basis of driving a 318 Compact.   I've driven Clio 172, and MX5s, and I can guarantee that there are Alfas out there which would satisfy your requirements for involvement.