63 Giulia Sprint GT

Started by Blisso, July 02, 2014, 05:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blisso

In the depths of my fathers shed full of classic 60s mini minors(most need restoring but hes too busy fixing everyone else's) quietly sits a 63 Giulia Sprint GT in bianco spino white.
36yrs on i have taken a great interest in restoring this beauty and looking into it more and more there is so much to learn.
Dad tells me it has a wood grain dash but can this be, as research tells the Veloce has that type so I am confused
Can anyone help :)

ItalCarGuy

Lucky you Blisso. If it is hard to get to there are a few indicators that might make it easier to tell what it is. First of all chassis number is the be all and tell all but if you cant get to it. Veloces have cloverleaf badges on the pillars behind the rear side windows, and a Veloce badge on the rear panel next to the numberplate. Yes the GT had a grey textured dash the same shape as the fake woodgrain Veloce one. stepfront Juniors also had the cardboard woodgrain, also the GTAJ (you wish :P) The front grilles are also very different. Earliest GTs we have here are 64 I think as well.

Here is a page on my website with period reference photos for the GT Veloce
http://www.alfa-male.com/gt-veloce/period-reference-photos/

Here is a thread with some great pics of an original GT so you can see the differences
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-cars-sale-wanted/285457-1964-giulia-gt-sprint.html

Would love to pop down and have a look at it some time!

aggie57

Hi Blisso - recommend retrieve the chassis number (stamped on the firewall, top right side) and send it to Marco Fazio at:

centrodocumentazione@alfaromeo.com

Marco will tell you the exact model, manufacture date, the original colour and trim, who it was sold to and when.  By who it was sold I mean which distributor /country. 

Good luck :)
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Blisso

Thanks guys
Yes Derek i thought they were manufactured in 63 then sold /dated 64? Great web site of yours too!
Dads adamant its the very first model.It has the grey interior,black steering wheel,( GT mesh grille no bars).
Thanks Aggie57 Thats fantastic help
Going on saturday to check it out thoroughly cant wait to go solve the mystery.
Also love to find the right painter for the restore job too,the chap that painted all the minis did a spectacular job but moved out west :(
Would mean a lot to him to see it running. poor bugger suffered depression after  his rare 1275 mini parts were stolen (inside job i reckon) It was his most prized possesion/project .The beautiful green lady (shell) sits immaculately painted on its rack longing for its original parts.

ItalCarGuy

Thats terrible to hear, regarding the Mini parts. It would be devastating to lose your dream project parts.  >:(

Earliest RHD Sprint GT I know of is in the UK and was manufactured 15/05/1964. Only a few early ones in Australia. The '64's were imported by Lightburn in Adelaide and are rare. Hope it still has some of the unique early GT features like scissor hood prop and funky chunky internal armrests.

Blisso

Yes Derek it has scissor hood prop and chunky arm rests
Sent Chassis no off but Marco is out of his office till 9th July A waiting game!

Craig_m67

He's back, I got a message from him this morning :)
Probably working his way through the backlog
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Blisso

Oh Sweet :P
It seems if it has the jointed prop hinge (definately a 63/64 Srint GT) then maybe the chap who bought it took a liking to the GTV wood dash and replaced it ,it is missing the glove box lid

Blisso

It has no signs of veloce badge or clover leaf at rear window either?

ItalCarGuy

well it definitely sounds like a Sprint GT. Looking forward to seeing some pics, and we can give you opinions (if you want them?! :P) What is the chassis number? if you don't want to put on the forum  feel free to send me a message or give a number range. I had a GT parts car at one stage and have a few friends with them. There is a short list of unique hard to find parts. Having them will save a lot of chasing thats for sure. If you have been reading a few of the resto threads you will see that body condition and rust is the biggest and most expensive issue when restoring these cars. Its worth a very thorough inspection of your car before you decide to do anything with it.

Blisso

Oh Man this wait for info from Marco on our giulia is Kill'n me! :o

Evan Bottcher

Hmm. I got a reply from him last night...
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Blisso

No Reply yet as to Body/ :Chassis but dug out spare engine that came with it and its a 00502 YAY ;D
Hopefully we can restore (lets call him "Romeo" because Im female!) the engine fingers crossed.
I have a brilliant team, Uncle recently took out Best "Mini" in Australia (name his price for it apparently)
They just have to double their effort its not a mini :P

aggie57

Looking forward to some happy snaps! :)
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Blisso

Quote from: Derek Entesano on July 03, 2014, 02:20:02 PM
Thats terrible to hear, regarding the Mini parts. It would be devastating to lose your dream project parts.  >:(

Earliest RHD Sprint GT I know of is in the UK and was manufactured 15/05/1964. Only a few early ones in Australia. The '64's were imported by Lightburn in Adelaide and are rare. Hope it still has some of the unique early GT features like scissor hood prop and funky chunky internal armrests.
with reference to your request we are informing you as follows.

According to our documentation files, the chassis number AR 752140 originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT RHD (105.04), manufactured on the 29th January 1965 and sold on the 25th February 1965 in Adelaide, Australia.
The body colour is hawthorn white, with grey skai interiors.

Im guessing this is now one of 65 vehicles imported by Lightburn in Adelaide as he shut down dealings with Alfa in August 65 due to his failure over the economy Zeta vehicle ?