GTV

Started by t-rev, July 01, 2014, 06:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanm

Hi Dave,
In regards to the choice between Australian delivered Phase 1 and Phase 2, I think the only significant technical differences apart from the 6sp gearbox were the upgrade to Bosch 5.3 ABS system with EBD and the introduction of the auto drop feature for the windows that lowers the glass about 10mm when the door is opened and raises it again when the door is closed. This creates a better window seal with less noise.

Most of the other upgrades were aesthetic (stuff that I personally like).
– A silver centre console which looks good and does not suffer from the black sticky surface on the P1 cars
– All have momo seats (maybe some P1 cars don't ?)
– Colour coded side skirts (P1 has black plastic)
– Zender rear spoiler an option on most P2 cars, I think it finishes the tail off nicely, some not so sure...
– Very slightly different grille

I have only driven 1 P1 car, in my opinion the 5sp feels the same as 6sp – slick (miraculous coming out of one of my transaxle cars!) 5 speed MIGHT be slightly less prone to breaking its diff?

Handling is amazing, though my car does have Q2 diff, Koni dampers and Pirelli PZero tyres. Car seems to go exactly where you point it, no body roll, amazing grip. Maybe a whiff of torque steer in 1st gear but nothing like a 147 GTA that I drove without Q2. I swear it would have changed lanes if I had let go of the steering wheel. I must say have only driven the GTV enthusiastically on tight winding roads not on the track, someone else might have better experience with the handling.

The twinny might be excellent, but the Busso V6 is sublime end of story. Buy one.

Al
Present
1987 75 TS Rosso
2001 GTV V6 Nero
2001 156 V6 Monza Rosso
Past
1986 GTV6 Grand Prix
1988 33

Davidm1600

Hi Al
Many thanks for the feedback/recommendation. First hand experience is what I was interested in. In the past I had been thinking of an Alfetta GTV6 but I really dislike the gearbox and a slightly smaller sports car would suit me better.  Afterall, I do have the Sportwagon for carrying stuff.

As I mentioned I have only had a few short drives in the 916 GTVs and as there are none to test drive down here, I don't really wish to go in blind.  I kind of did that with my 156 and it has worked out fine, but nethertheless it is better to be informed.

I well appreciate the difference that decent tyres, shockies etc can make.  I upgraded my 156 with Bilsteins, Pirelli P7s plus rebuilt front end and that made such a difference to it.  I was aware of the Q2 diff replacement recommendation. Where do you get one of these from ?? 

Might be best to follow up on a number of cars to find out more about their service history etc and go from there.  Cheers Dave

Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Cool Jesus

Mate, couldn't find the post on ausalfa, but there was a resent FS thread for a v6 GTV. The seller is looking at expressions of interested as he isnt posting a price and is pumping up the car as 'the best'. I think its a 99 (phase 1), dark blue with light tan interior. Colours go very nicely IMO. It has apparently only travelled 55K kms. Used car market is crap at the mo, so if your negotiation skills are reasonable it sounds like a worth while look?
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

alanm

Dave, if one of the Vic cars is of particular interest let me know I might be able to take a quick look to qualify them for a pre purchase inspection or a flight to Melbourne. The red Sth Yarra car is about 5 Klms from where I live, the gunmetal Carlton one a little further. I know what's its like buying long distance, my 75 was from Brisbane, the 156 and the GTV from Sydney. The GTV came back to Melb via Bathurst  :D

Al
Present
1987 75 TS Rosso
2001 GTV V6 Nero
2001 156 V6 Monza Rosso
Past
1986 GTV6 Grand Prix
1988 33

Davidm1600

Hi Alan

Many thanks for that, I might PM you re this.  I really appreciate the offer to help.  The red one certainly interests me, the grey one too could though it is a little more pricey.  I have the ph number for the guy selling the red one and had been thinking of giving him a ph call to talk about the car.  It seems to have some good service history, but worth knowing if there are any mechanical or other important issues to be aware of.

When I bought my 156, I flew to Sydney, test drove it, liked it, payed for it and had a road trip home.  Was a great into to it.  Last year I bought a Giulia from Adelaide and had it transported home, so distance doesn't have to be a factor.

I do need to think about this and whether or not (probably should) to try to sell my 156.   

Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

samar

I've had 2 x V6 spiders, 2001 and 2003.. both of them I managed to kill the Diff and gearbox...

I was lucky with the 2003 was still under warranty and even through Alfa Italia in Sydney tired to get out of it, they honoured the warranty (since I've purchased 3 new Alfas from them).

The 2001 I wasn't so lucky, ended up costing me 6k for a second hand diff (limited slip) & second hand gearbox, new clutch and a mate installed it all for next to nothing.. I love my mates.
So far, two year, no issues and I drive it like it should be driven.

So the Diff upgrade is a must