GTV

Started by t-rev, July 01, 2014, 06:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t-rev

I hear that the  phase 1 GTV's with the five speed don't break diff's as often because of the fact that narrower wheels, with less road grip, have more 'give' in that when power is applied they spin easier, so put less pressure on the diff?

alanm

Less grip or less power/torque I don't know (given that the biggest problem is with 3.2 litre cars).
It may be the case that a lot of European P1 3.0 litre cars had 16in wheels with narrower tyres. 17in teledials might even have been an option in Australia. The problem might also be related to 1st gear ratios in the 5 and 6 speed gearboxes?
Al
Present
1987 75 TS Rosso
2001 GTV V6 Nero
2001 156 V6 Monza Rosso
Past
1986 GTV6 Grand Prix
1988 33

t-rev

Thank's for that advice! if you were checking a 3.0 or 3.2 v6, is there any way of telling the condition by the sound? eg, tappet noise, etc', and would you stay away from a v6 that had a cambelt break and was fixed?

colcol

I would get one with a service history and if the cambelt had broken, see who did the work on fixing it, have it checked over by an Alfa Romeo Workshop, to see if there are any outstanding issues, one of the things i have heard with the Busso in the new Alfa Romeo models, is that because the engine is mounted east west, the oil filter is hard to get to without moving the air conditioner / power steering pump, so sometimes it doesn't get changed, like who will pay say $100 for an oil filter change, if i had one, i would set up a remote oil filter, so you can get to it, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Brad M

Quote from: alanm on July 03, 2014, 01:38:19 PM
The phase 3 car has the 3.2 V6 in common with the GTA's – 250hp. The V6 is a superb motor.

Just clarifying ... The 3.2 v6 Phase 3 isn't exactly the same as a 147/156 GTA. Due to engine bay limitations the manifold used in the Phase 3 GTV is different ... which means it is slightly less powerful with 176kW as opposed to the 184kW in a GTA.

Just clarifying further ... it would still be awesome. Love the Busso.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

t-rev

Still looking! Still looking!, my search has included 147 GTA's, most seem to have the q2 retro fitted and even though i don't think they have that classic appeal that a GTV has, they still press all the right buttons! Can anyone tell me what the ground clearance is on the GTV! My driveway is a bit 'bumpy' and im not that sure a Gtv would clear the kerb.

t-rev

I'v tried a few GTv's and Gta's and i'm not really sure! On paper the Gta seems to be a technically better car but it does not get my pulse racing as much as the Gtv,although the Gta does that too!  It's one of those head vs heart decisions. The Gta has got a bit more 'grunt' and appears more modern in terms of dynamics, but the GtV seems to give a more thrilling impression of speed, the way you sit lower, look through the little windscreen and feel the acceleration and the road fly under you, very 'ko-kartish, i also like the simple layout of the dash as it's a bit retro, very sporty and almost a 60's-70's feel, although the GTA from different angles almost looks like a modern day hotrod, especially with the bonnet up!

alanm

Hi,
Yes, I was looking at 147 GTAs when I bought my GTV.

At the end of the day you are choosing between a car that's shape is determined by functional considerations - comfortable rear seats, a boot that you could fit a weeks shopping in - and a car thats shape is almost purely determined by stlyle. I love the look of the GTA, but I love the Pininfarina No compromise coupe design more. 220ish hp vs 250? For me after a few months of ownership, it doesn't really matter, the experience is superb either way.

Once again for me comes back to J Clarksons comment - its daft but I absolutely adore it.

Al
Present
1987 75 TS Rosso
2001 GTV V6 Nero
2001 156 V6 Monza Rosso
Past
1986 GTV6 Grand Prix
1988 33

Cool Jesus

Well if this doesn't finalize your decision then we're lost. My vote is for the 916 series, more than enough boot space and its the only Alfa that you can climb into in style  :P
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

t-rev

Yes your right , that boot has plenty of space,My missus' is pregnant at the moment but i'm sure i could squeeze her in! Those picture's express some very sexy curves and great proportions, and er', the girl in the photo brushes up alright as well

colcol

These additions would be great drink holders as the GTV doesn't have any, just like the 156 and 166, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Cool Jesus

Baby on the way, ohhhh. The 916 is certainly not stroller/baby friendly  :(
You may have to go the hatch after all, as you can see there's more room for babes and toys compared to the GTV...
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

t-rev

That's ok, i would use my old falcon for that, the kids(there's 3 of em) can squash their chupa chumps in the seats as much as they like,or throw up! I could also bribe the kids to behave, so they can ride with dad in the Alfa, the kids who don't fit will just have to walk

Cool Jesus

Ha ha, yeah that was my ethos when the cherubs were smaller. They certainly learnt that their priority was below the Alfa  8)
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Davidm1600

Hey guys, hope it is ok to chime in on this thread.  I remember trying a GTV6, GTV and spider all when they were new.  I think they would have all been series 1 cars from memory.  I enjoyed them all, each had their own character.  I also a few years later on tried out a GTV6 again which was for sale at the time for $24K.  I recall enjoying the drive.

I had both a 1750 GTV and my '03 156 sportwagon (JTS) at the time.  The thing being I remember feeling in a strange way that the 916 series GTV(6) kind of reminded me of my 1750, except that it was a more modern car.  I had previously owned both an Alfetta Gt and sedan but kind of never gelled with these cars.   I loved my GTV despite all of its faults.

Over the years since, I have been watching the prices for the 916 GTVs etc falling to very low prices of affordability and again been wondering if perhaps now might be time to take the plunge and get one.  There seem to be a fairly decent range on offer on Carsales. etc.   Of course they aren't really that practical but that is ok.  Similarly while I paid $20k for my 156, 7 years ago it too now is not worth all that much even though its in good condition and doesn't have relatively high kms on it (134). 

So the question is should I or not ??  I really think I like the series 2 cars the best.  Not sure exactly why, but truthfully are they a better option than the series 1 (cost/reliability etc), and also I think I really would like a V6.  What is the 6 speed box like in comparison to the 5 speed.  Fuel economy is not really the consideration given I don't drive to work.  I am just wondering though is the extra cost of the V6 in maintenance worth it (suspect so given the Busso music) and how do people who have such cars find the handling, is understeer/torque steer really an issue for normal road use, or perhaps only if pushed to the limit ?

There is a car for sale right now which seems to be pushing all the right buttons for me, so hence my questions/opinions/advice being sought.  Cheers Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina