Thermostat

Started by joestram, July 10, 2014, 11:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colcol

Uncle colcol should know about 156 thermostats, as he has had his over 5 years and is on to his 3rd thermostat, the good 33 has a paper gasket and no o ring, never done an Alfetta thermostat and when joestram said there was no gasket, ithought he must have already pulled it out, which is always a good idea, so that you can see that the new one looks like the old one, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Neil Choi

Pic of 105 thermostat housing on the Alfetta motor.

joestram

Thanks Neil and Colin for your comments. Received the thermostat from Domenic so am going to change this over on Monday if the weather is good. Do I need anything special when I put the hoses back on (like a sealant) or will the hose clamps be enough? Also, just to confirm, is it just a matter or pulling up the old one and putting in the new one? Sounds too simple?
00 156 V6 Monza
11 Mito Sport - Gone
79 Alfetta GTV - Gone
76 Alfetta GT - Gone

colcol

No sealant required on hoses, but check condition of hose clamps, the clamp screws should turn freely and the worms not damaged on clamp and sometimes the thermostat is marked <engine or >radiator, with arrows pointing towards its destination, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

joestram

Thanks Colin :)

Sorry about the rookie questions - I really appreciate the guidance.

Thanks everyone

Joe
00 156 V6 Monza
11 Mito Sport - Gone
79 Alfetta GTV - Gone
76 Alfetta GT - Gone

colcol

Thats allright, we were all rookies once, Colin.

joestram

Hi Guys,
Just an update, did the swap today and can't believe how easy it was. I was overthinking/complicating the whole procedure.
Car is now operational but is in desperate need of a tune! Who knows how to tune a carb with oversize jets/warm cams? Any advice?
Thanks
Joe
00 156 V6 Monza
11 Mito Sport - Gone
79 Alfetta GTV - Gone
76 Alfetta GT - Gone

ALF750

glad you got it together Joestream.   Another option I used was to grind the alfetta thermostat housing out to accept a Tridon or any standard type thermostat.   Just don't put it in upside down....