Help needed - Berlina Pricing

Started by 105Alive, June 28, 2014, 11:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntj

Hi Michael,

I'm positive it's the same car. Same colour, condition and year model aside, The plastic gear gaiter and non-original knob, and trim rings/wheel colour are the giveaways.

When it went up on carpoint at this new price (originally $14,000) I found the expired ebay listing and compared, but unfortunately that's gone. When it was originally advertised the owner mentioned in the ad his concern that someone would buy the car and steal the diff, but must have done some reading on USA Berlina prices and decided to go upmarket.

In Sydney there was a beautiful green Berlina 2l first advertised around $7,000 and that struggled to sell.

Hope it works out somehow.

Garibaldi

Likewise, it sure looks like the same car to me. Given the scarcity of Berlinas it would be highly unlikely that there would be two identical cars still in existance here.

105Alive

Hi guys,

So sadly i have decided not to go ahead with the purchase. What a bummer! I was getting VERY excited!

I called the current owner and asked what work he had done to it since buying it in light of the 3,500 price news. He at first said that it was not the same car. Then he got somewhat cagey and said that the price was what it was and that he didn't want to talk about it, and didn't tell me what he'd done over the time he has owned it. "10 Grand. Take it or leave it". So i said i'd leave it at this stage.  :(  :(  :(  Perhaps he was cagey because it is NOT the same car after all, just a REMARKABLY similar one, or perhaps he was cagey as his entrepreneurial venture was no longer unfolding as he'd planned. Who knows! From previous conversations with him I know that he has had the car serviced, detailed inside and out, and got the car through roadworthy in the time he's had it. He was also possibly the one who fitted the King Springs. So he has done that at least.

I'm not sure if I've made the right decision, but i don't feel comfortable paying 10 grand for a car that potentially sold for 3,500 a short time ago. I think it was undervalued at $3,500 as it does look very clean, and would have paid perhaps 8 grand for it, but not 10. That's just me though, hopefully this thread can serve as a resource to any of you that do end up being the next owner. It is a beautiful Berlina at the end of the day!!!

Thanks again to all of you for your advice. Forza Alfa Romeo and all that!

Cheers,
             Michael

shaggy

Like many others here it seem, I've been on the look out for a Berlina for a while and saw both ads for this car. I have no doubt its the same car. I had assumed that the owner started reading the BB, saw how much these go for in the US and cancelled the ebay auction (it seemed to end early), only to relist it on Carsales for $14k.

There have been good driver berlinas on Gumtree and ebay in the $4-8k range over the last 18 months. Personally if I was going to spend $14K on a 105 sedan, I'd be looking at something like this Giulia Super on Gumtree: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bentleigh/cars-vans-utes/1970-alfa-romeo-giulia-sedan/1050714638

Sure it'll need some work, but you'd thank yourself in the long run...

Evan Bottcher

I'm going to sound like a bit overly cautious here, so take it as you wish - I certainly mean no offence.  Just remember when you post here that this is public.  The owner of the car being advertised could easily find this, and probably wouldn't be very happy about his loss of sale.  It's not hard to track an online persona to a real life identity.

I'm sure you can all take care of yourselves, but I always advise people - the private message function is a good way to privately deliver a message to someone.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal