Getting my alfa on a track

Started by Bam Bam, June 24, 2014, 09:28:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bam Bam

Hi Guys, very new to the forum and the Alfa Club.

What I wanted to know is, what is required for me to do to be able to bring my car to a track day?
Do I need a cams licence?
Do I need a helmet?
Does the car need anything added to it?

I don't want to race my new alfa and risk damage, I just want a legal way to open it up a little!
What type of event would I be looking for?
Does alfa club have days where they hire a track so members can have a drive in a low pressure environment?

I have a 2013 giulietta QV

Cheers!

krysRAW = AROCA-Vic PR =

I'd probably start by getting a car that you don't mind thrashing or getting bumped  :o

Unless you decide to turn your new 2013 Giulietta QV into a track car, I would get something else that you were either:

A) only going to use on the track or
B) didn't care about it getting a little ruffed up

That's just my 2 cents. I'm with you, I like to open the throttle from time to time, but my car is my show car and I don't think I'll be driving it on the track anytime soon.
2004 156 JTS 2.0 5-Spd Manual

MODS:
Tint
Stance SC7 19x8.5 Rims
Custom Sport Exhaust
Custom 90mm Cold Air Intake
SAAS Pod Filter
Wheel guards Rolled & Pumped
BC Adjustable BR(RS) coilovers
Front Tower Strut Brace
3" intake pipe

DHDamo

What about sprints? Go check one out for peace of mind, then if comfortable have a crack at it. I did my first one a few weeks back and everybody was very well behaved - cars of all makes too as well as several alfas -( the guy winning our Qld alfacomp sprints at the moment is in a mint new giulietta - which has not a scratch on it). . I'll be back (sure my car is no 2013 model) but it was great fun and I'll be back for sure (im in Qld tho, I'm sure Vic has the same if not better).
Now:
'84 GTV
'12 Nissan Navara D22

Then:
'83 Giulietta ('01-'06)

Paul Gulliver

Here's a piece that Alfa club sprinter and all-round nice guy Evan Bottcher put together a few years ago.

http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,40/func,startdown/id,91/

Gully
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

AndrewR

When I started doing sprints my car was three years old, that was thirteen years ago and the only marks on my car are shopping car park dents along the sides. Yes it's more likely to be damaged in a car park than at a club sprint day.
2006-166 Ti

hmd

Quote from: Bam Bam on June 24, 2014, 09:28:04 AM

Do I need a cams licence? Yes, L2S
Do I need a helmet? Yes
Does the car need anything added to it? extinguisher

I don't want to race my new alfa and risk damage, I just want a legal way to open it up a little!
What type of event would I be looking for?
club sprints
Does alfa club have days where they hire a track so members can have a drive in a low pressure environment?
AROCA Vic runs one of the best sprint calendar

I have a 2013 giulietta QV
perfect for the job

Cheers!

Bam Bam

Thanks for all the reply's guys!

HMD. perfect! the answers I was looking for!

Paul G, thanks for the link, I've printed it and will give it a read!

As for the car, I remember years ago when I was a teenager, I went to an alfa club day at sandown.
He got to drive his car around the track as hard or soft as he wanted, it was just about being able to drive his car with like minded passionate alfisti!
I remember he took me around for a few laps. it was an alfa 164 QV.

This is the kind of day I would love to have! I'm not intending on coming there and going as hard as I can and pushing it to it's limits around the corners etc.

I just want to be able to drive as I wish without getting busted! I need my licence!
I also think it would be a great day at the track being surrounded by other alfa's and their owners!

hopefully I can get the ball rolling in time for the next sprint!

AikenDrum105

Quote from: Bam Bam on June 24, 2014, 04:22:45 PM
.... I'm not intending on coming there and going as hard as I can and pushing it to it's limits around the corners etc.

We all said that at first....    :D

Scott
'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 TS+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

Bam Bam

Ha ha! I know! But it's our daily driver, so I must be good!

aggie57

First off, welcome to AROCA and to the forum.  You've come to the right place to ask these questions, and the right club to try out some track time.  Many of us have been doing this stuff for more years than we care to say :).

Bottom line is "try before you buy" in my mind.  Your car is more than right to do that and if you do like it, and want to get serious, then you can decide how and in what.  There is an event at Phillip Island on July 12th which would a perfect time to go down and mingle / ask questions / see what others do.  We never recommend going there as a first event anyway; better to go to Winton for the first try.  Just safer and less chance of getting into trouble.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

colcol

Bam Bam, come along in your Guilietta turbo or multiair and do a driver trainer course at Winton, where you will be taught the basics of driving the car properly and Winton is a safe-ish sort of track and then if you like the idea of sprinting buy yourself a old 147 for a few thousand dollars and sprint that and leave the Guilietta as a daily driver or now and then sprint cars come up for sale that have all the work done on them, DON'T go to Phillip Island or Sandown for the first time to drive, but have a talk and look at the cars there, to get some idea's, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: Paul Gulliver on June 24, 2014, 01:51:58 PM
Here's a piece that Evan Bottcher put together a few years ago.

I actually just re-jigged something that had been published a few years prior, somehow ended up with my name as author.  I'll take the credit though!

Agreed with most comments here.  Club sprints are a relatively low-risk environment for a beginner, but of course no guarantees.  98%* of people who bring their road cars down for the day have a hoot and don't have any dramas - perhaps a couple of stone chips.  If you drive conservatively and within your limits you can have a lot of fun with low risk of damaging your car.  Every now and then a beginner comes unstuck, that's just a risk you've got to consider.

After a couple of sprints though, you'll find yourself hooked and then you'll have to make a hard decision because it's inevitable that you'll want to go faster and try harder and increase the risk of damage.  Abstinence is an option, but most people can't resist...

Come down to Phillip Island next month and have a look, and chat to a couple of participants.  It's a nice crowd and there's lots to see.

See you there.

* not a real statistic.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

krysRAW = AROCA-Vic PR =

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on June 24, 2014, 11:51:33 PM
".....98%* of people who bring their road cars down for the day have a hoot and don't have any dramas - perhaps a couple of stone chips....."

* not a real statistic.

2004 156 JTS 2.0 5-Spd Manual

MODS:
Tint
Stance SC7 19x8.5 Rims
Custom Sport Exhaust
Custom 90mm Cold Air Intake
SAAS Pod Filter
Wheel guards Rolled & Pumped
BC Adjustable BR(RS) coilovers
Front Tower Strut Brace
3" intake pipe

Bam Bam

Thanks guys for all the great advice!

I will try and come to Philly Is. and have a look!

Will try to have everything ready for winton.

I understand what you guys are saying that at first I may be happy to take it easy and protect the car, but as time goes on, for sure it's only natural you would want to push harder and try to better yourself.

Not the same I know, but I race RC touring cars and understand the want to go faster!

The driver training course's at winton sound great as well, something I would definitely do when the next one comes around.

Thanks again guys!

Bam Bam

Just googled winton raceway, whoo! it's so far! :(
I live in Berwick, so it's probably close to 4 hrs there and then back again! plus however long at the track! That would be a huge day!

Perhaps sandown and ph Is may be more doable!