Car Storage

Started by colcol, June 12, 2014, 09:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colcol

Hello there, i have a 33, and i will be off on other projects for about a year, working in the mining industry, and i will be storing my 33 and i am wondering, what would be the best way to store it, any tips out there in 33 land?, regards, Oscar.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

colcol

Hello Oscar, [if that is your real name], first of all, the best way to go about it, is to have someone start it idealy every week, to keep the battery charged up and to keep a set of valve springs being jammed shut, which in extreme cases could lead to valve spring breakage, so every week, start the car and run it, so that hopefully a different set of valve springs will be open and shut, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

colcol

Hello Col-col, Oscar here, what if i just want to leave it there without starting it every week, what would you recomend for 1 years storage?, Oscar.

colcol

Hello Oscar, its Col-col here, first, i would drain all the petrol out of the tank, as it will turn into turpentine, you don't state if its a carby or fuel injected 33, so if it is a carby, just put a jiggle hose in the tank and get as much petrol out as you can, if its EFI, you could do the same or disconect the fuel line from the tank into the engine bay, get a fuel container, put the hose in, and switch on the ignition, and let the pump do all the work, but when the sound of the pump changes note and starts to gurgle, quickly switch off the ignition, so that the pump is not running dry, as it relies on petrol to lubricate the gears, have a fire extinguisher ready in case of fire, Colin.

colcol

Hello Col-col, its Oscar here, how do you think fuel stabiliser would go in the fuel tank, instead of draining the tank?, Oscar.

colcol

Hello Oscar, Col-col here, i have no knowledge of anything made after 1984, but i have seen it advertised on channel 31, so it must be good, might save a bit of mucking around and lessens the dangers of setting fire to your car, Colin.

colcol

Hello Col-col its Oscar here, how do you think it would go, if i removed the spark plugs and sprayed some fogging oil in the spark plug holes?, Oscar.

colcol

Hi ya Oscar, Col-col here, i haven't the foggiest idea what fogging oil is, but i would spray some WD-40 down the plug holes, then kick the engine over a few times to distribute the WD-40 on the rings and bores, so it doesn't get a dry start, then put the spark plugs back, Colin.

colcol

Hi ya Col-col, Oscar here, i heard that WD-40 is fish oil mixed with kerosene, how would this stop rust?, Oscar.

colcol

Giday Oscar, Col-col here, the fish oil will stop any rust and before you start it after a year, go down to Repco and get some 'start ya bastard' and spray it into the spark plug holes to get it started, Colin.

colcol

Giday Col-col, Oscar here, how would i stop the battery going flat?, if i left the battery charger on it, the battery may blow up, or should i just take the battery out?, Oscar.

colcol

How are you Oscar, Col-col here, go down to Jaycar, and get a trickle charger that plugs into 240 volts and puts about .25 amp in, to maintain a charge in the battery, and you get crocodile clips so you can connect it to the battery, if you have a wet cell battery, make sure that the cells are full of distilled water, Colin.

colcol

How are you Col-col, Oscar again, what should i do about the tyres, will they go flat, and if they do should i rotate them, so the flat bits are at the top?, Oscar.

colcol

How are you Oscar?, Col-col here, blow the tyres up to 50 pounds and jack the car up and place it on jack stands or bricks or blocks of wood, so that all the weight of the car is off the tyres and suspension and you won't get any flat spots on the bottom of your tyres, but being a 33 up on blocks, due to it being a 33 with not much rigidity, you won't be able to open the doors to start the car every week, so go down to Jaycar and get that trickle charger, Colin.

Frank Musco

Very informative and entertaining...Colcol [if thats your real name] lol.

Wondering what you think about a Carcoon for the 33?