AROCA SANDOWN SPRINT 25 MAY SR&EF

Started by Neil Choi, April 05, 2008, 11:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil Choi

Hi there all

Here are the AROCA Sandown Sprint SR & EF to be held on 25 May.

All are welcome to come and enter, participate, or spectate or help out.

Also if there are sufficient numbers, we will be holding driver training sessions for those who are junior or novice drivers.  The plan is to have these drivers go out onto the track with an instructor who will assist the driver around the track safely, smoothly and securely.

I plan on scheduling the sessions at 9:00-9:30am, 12:30-1:00pm and 4:30-5:00pm, with more sessions if time permits.

This is ideal for junior, novice or ladies drivers. These sessions are not intimidating and allow drivers to build their confidence and skills at their own pace.

It is the aim of AROCA to provide a safe and non-intimidating environment for those who wants to try track driving but find sprints too much of a jump to get into.

Please contact me to if you have any questions, or to express your interest and for more details.

Regards
Neil
0433 11 66 47

Jekyll and Hyde

Neil: there was mention in another thread that Dorian timers would be used for this event, but no mention is made in the supp regs or entry form?  Is this so, and if it is, will there be a guideline posted up as to what provisions need to be made for this?

Doug Gould

Dorians will be used for Sandown & all future AROCA events. They attach with zip ties or race tape. I will be producing a document on the units, but haven't had time to do it yet - and there's still 6 weeks or more to go!

Doug
08 159 JTS
07 Brera
85 GTV6
72 Montreal
65 2600 Sprint
60 VW Beetle

Jekyll and Hyde

QuoteThey attach with zip ties or race tape. I will be producing a document on the units, but haven't had time to do it yet - and there's still 6 weeks or more to go!

Zip ties I can do no worries, was just concerned a bracket may be required to be fitted, or that they would need to be bought?  Are they just going to be a lend out job, getting swapped between cars in between runs?

Neil Choi

Hi there all

Two quick notice for all members and competitors.

1)   If you are contemplating on entering Sandown event, best to do so now, as places are filling fast and I cannot promise a place for you if it is full.  So send your entry in now. 

2)   Please be advised that entrance to Sandown Raceway from 1 May will only be via the Princes Hwy/Dandenong Rd Overpass.  This overpass gate will be open from 6:15 am to 5:30 pm.  No entry can be gained from Sandown Rd or Alamein St.

Regards
Neil

Mat Francis

Hi Neil,
You mentioned above the possibility of driver training time and numbers permitting? any further news/updates on this? Also, if it is a go-ahead, am i eligible? i have entered the sprint already, and plan on driving this as normal. is the driver training to be run in conjunction with this entry or separately? i am still a junior. Either way, can't wait!
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Neil Choi

Currently, there is one other junior driver, two including you.  We could/will schedule driver training/instructional sessions with an instructor onboard.  If we can get onto the track early during drivers briefing and also around mid morning and lunchtime.  If you are confident driver then the familarization session is enough. 

We will gauge what happens as entries come in.

Regards
Neil

Mat Francis

Thanks Neil.
i am pretty confident so for me the familiarization session should be sufficient without wasting anyone's time. look forward to seeing you there
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Neil Choi

Hi there all

Please find attached for download an instruction note for fitting the dorian timing transponders to your car during the competition events.

Thanks to Doug Gould for the preparation of this document.

Neil

Gary Pearce

Thanks Neil, can Dorian units be picked up prior to race day, so as to adequately affix them?
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

Neil Choi

Hi Gary and all

I am not sure but I am guessing that it wouldn't be really be possible to collect before the event day.

But from what Doug, Ian and I have figured, it should be only a 5 min job and a couple of cable ties on the day.

The worst part is to get them ALL back from the competitors at the end of the day!!!

If things change, I will post a note here.

Neil

alan221

Hi Gary,
I am a new member I would like a familiarization lap as I have never had my brera spider over 100kph ''

AL&Venus

Evan Bottcher

Shame we couldn't move to the little red clip-on transponders like we used at the 6 hour - they were easy to cable tie internally to rollcages and b-pillars.  Very easy to change between runs when sharing a car also as the transponder itself just clipped into a cradle.  Are they still an option?

I don't think we'll be able to undo zip ties and race tape and swap dorians in a hurry between runs when Fi and I share the car.  Anybody seen a solution to this in other car clubs using Dorians?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

pete barr

Hi Neil, I have my own Dorian and would be happy to assist with driver training, if required.
Regards Pete Barr

Doug Gould

The Dorians are owned by Ian Leech & hired to us. The hire cost of the units is offset by lower labour cost in the timing tower. These units are the ones commonly used by other clubs, so early access is not possible because they are pretty much used every wekend and returned to Ian (at Bendigo) during the week. The ones used for the 6-hour were infra-red units that are much more fussy to mount, difficult to mount on road cars while maintaining line of sight to the beacon and they are now obsoloete, so its a pretty dry arguement. Ian & I used used my 156 & his commodore for the photos, either car would have mounted the dorian in less time than it takes me to put a set of numbers on the car. It will fit equally as fast to my GTV6 - probably race tape to the rear chassis tie down.

For dual entered cars you could consider buying reusable zip ties or maybe velcro ties and using one of the plastic trays shown in the briefing document.

Doug

08 159 JTS
07 Brera
85 GTV6
72 Montreal
65 2600 Sprint
60 VW Beetle