Montreal

Started by Steved, May 14, 2014, 02:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steved

Hi all
I am a old time Porsche 911 man who has decided it is time for a new toy and I am keen to purschase the right Montreal.
I am a babe in the woods here and would really appreciate any views/traps/advice/price guides that the experts would be able to provide. Any comments gratefully accepted
Steve

poohbah

Only one comment from me, if you are in the market for a Montreal: Lucky b..tard!
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

massiveluvbuddy67

Quote from: Steved on May 14, 2014, 02:57:09 PM
Hi all
I am a old time Porsche 911 man who has decided it is time for a new toy and I am keen to purschase the right Montreal.
I am a babe in the woods here and would really appreciate any views/traps/advice/price guides that the experts would be able to provide. Any comments gratefully accepted
Steve

Hi Steve,
It depends how original you want the car. Steve Smith in NSW has a lovely Monty for sale. He took me for a drive in it last September. It has an autronic injection systems replacing the mechanical spica injection system. It sure goes! The weakness of the standard car was always the suspension but this is easily rectified and many owners have upgraded this quite cost effectively. The best cars trade quietly within the club when they come up. I will keep my ear to the ground. Gary Pearce has the best Monty (IMHO) in Australia and is worthwhile having a chat to. He is a spanner man and knows these cars back to front. He is overseas at the moment and back in late May.
Good luck.
Best Regards
Phil

GTV-074

Steve,

You may have already seen these but some good info on both sites,

http://www.alfamontreal.info/

Maintained by the person who has published Montreal books.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/

Alfa BB forum lots of posts on the Monty here....

Good luck in the search they are an absolute stunner IMO.

Cheers.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

Steved

Quote from: massiveluvbuddy67 on May 16, 2014, 07:03:20 AM
Quote from: Steved on May 14, 2014, 02:57:09 PM
Hi all
Steve

Hi Steve,
It depends how original you want the car. Steve Smith in NSW has a lovely Monty for sale. He took me for a drive in it last September. It has an autronic injection systems replacing the mechanical spica injection system. It sure goes! The weakness of the standard car was always the suspension but this is easily rectified and many owners have upgraded this quite cost effectively. The best cars trade quietly within the club when they come up. I will keep my ear to the ground. Gary Pearce has the best Monty (IMHO) in Australia and is worthwhile having a chat to. He is a spanner man and knows these cars back to front. He is overseas at the moment and back in late May.
Good luck.
Best Regards
Phil

Thanks Phil
I have spoken with Steve and will catch up when he is back from o/s.
Do you know how I might contact Gary?
Any recommendation as to the best mechanic in Sydney for Montys?
Thanks again
Steve

Steved

Quote from: GTV-074 on May 16, 2014, 08:25:21 PM
Steve,

You may have already seen these but some good info on both sites,

http://www.alfamontreal.info/

Maintained by the person who has published Montreal books.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/

Alfa BB forum lots of posts on the Monty here....

Good luck in the search they are an absolute stunner IMO.

Cheers.

Thanks for these links
I will have a good look and read  now

Davidm1600

I am not certain, but you could try giving Rob Panetta at Manning Motors a ph call in Brookvale (North Shore).  Given his extensive history with Alfas and especially 105s he probably could give you some advice, even if he hasn't Monty specific experience.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Steved

Thanks David
I will take your advice and have a chat

bootlegger

They get rust in them real bad. Ive seen a few project cars over the years.  They all rust everywhere especially the sills.
If you  an experienced restorer its no big deal. If not be prepared for an expensive resto.
The original fuel injection can be a pain but once sorted works.
If you find a nice car take a fridge magnet before handing over the cash.

f1fascination

I agree with Poohbah, very jealous you are even able to consider looking for one!
They are definitely on my "list", there are a couple of nice ones here in WA.
Good luck!
Scruffy though charming 1973 GTV 2000

massiveluvbuddy67

Quote from: bootlegger on May 21, 2014, 07:08:10 PM
They get rust in them real bad. Ive seen a few project cars over the years.  They all rust everywhere especially the sills.
If you  an experienced restorer its no big deal. If not be prepared for an expensive resto.

The Montreal received the first Alfa Romeo rudimentary rust prevention treatment. Zinc dipped if I remember correctly. They do not rust as badly as 105 models. They do rust if treated poorly. The usual spots, doors and sills.
Cheers
Phil

poohbah

Obviously not the same thing, but I came across a mint-looking red Lancia Monte Carlo for sale in Perth not that long ago.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

aggie57

Quote from: massiveluvbuddy67 on May 22, 2014, 12:03:21 PM
Quote from: bootlegger on May 21, 2014, 07:08:10 PM

The Montreal received the first Alfa Romeo rudimentary rust prevention treatment. Zinc dipped if I remember correctly. They do not rust as badly as 105 models. They do rust if treated poorly. The usual spots, doors and sills.
Cheers
Phil

Dunno Phil - I've seen some pretty rotten ones even when they were pretty new.  Maybe here in Oz we got lucky? 
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list