14' or 15' GTA Replica wheels ? + Body Shop NW VIC Suburbs Referral required ?

Started by Silver105, April 18, 2014, 04:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver105

Hello all,

I am about to place an order for some GTA replica wheels from Alfaholics and I am finding it difficult to make a decision about which option I go with 14' or 15' GTA replica rims. Alfaholics have the 15x7 and Classic Alfa have the 15x6 and I'm tending to think the 15x6 look better  ? The wheels are purely for aesthetics so no racing etc so extra width is not crucial. However, when I see pictures of 105's with what looks to be 14's I think it looks more suitable for the period rather than the 15's.  Anyway I thought I would open up the debate to members to see what people think. Here are some pictures to assist. Unfortunately I kept getting a server error when trying to attach the photos so I have placed links to pictures of what I think are 14's and 15's GTA shod 105's ?

14' GTA wheel 
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/482518547548678645/
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/482518547548678709/

15' GTA wheel 
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/482518547548678731/
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/482518547548685821/

Thoughts

Cheers
JJ

werdna

I prefer the look of the 14's tbh. Not sure why either, just seems more balanced to my eye. There are a few threads about this on alfabb if I remember correctly 'discussing' the merits and drawbacks of both. You might be lucky and find a photo of a car similar to yours and that might help your thought process.
Andrew

peter dunkley

Howdy spent a few days at Northern Alfa, my car was there with Classic Alfa 7x14 205/60 tyres another silver with 7x15, 205/50 to this individual the 14's suit the car perfectly with sort of enough tyre bulk to look old school but also looking authentic. The 15's don't have the offset the 14's do also... good or bad?? The 15's with less tyre profile didn't look quite right..But hey its your choice and what you like anyway.
Might add the 14's and 205/60 tyres just fitted in eg barely.
A hint.. check the setting of the diff in the car if standard you may have troubles with tyre fit on one side and you will need to centre the diff.
pete

Silver105

Thanks for the suggestions I did check out the alfabb and yes lots of threads and found a great one with loads of contributions...Leaning to the 14 inch x 7 with 195/60 as it looks more period appropriate.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/482518547548678709/

Cheers

JJ

Velocemoto

I went the 15" option and look brilliant on my '71 Spider. {195/55/15 per Alfaholics recommendation}
Remember pre 69 {??} 105's etc, actually ran skinny 15" wheels before dropping back to 14" rims on later 1750 models, so the body and wheel arch opening can take it visually...

Probably why both options look right in their own way, just comes down to personal preference I guess.
I just sent for my preferred look over absolute period correctness:-)

Pete
71' 1750 Spider

Davidm1600

I guess while what has been said is all technically and/or asthetically correct, a few other factors could be taken into consideration.  For while with a spider and a GTV the extra dimensions of say a 15x7 inch wheel might work, with a Giulia or Berlina, space is the key limitation due to the inner rear wheel arch.

Next off, while it is true the earlier 105s had 15 inch wheels bear in mind they were 15 x5 or 5.5 not 7 which does make a huge difference.  Also tyre dimensions and adhesion has significantly changed since these cars was new.  Modern sticky low profile rubber is completely different to tall and not at all sticky rubber.  Most 105s would have run 15x155 or at most 165x70 tyres.   So to run a car on 15x7 rims on say 205 (or 195) x 50-60 profile will give completely different handling and comfort characteristics.

Many purists will argue that skinny tall tyres are what gave the 105 series its handling chuckability.  Myself personally I actually like wider and lower profile rubber on decent alloys. 

The other factors to consider is that the steering effort required with wider and lower profile rubber is greater, can be subject to tramlining, and this all places a range of extra stresses on the suspension.  So again unless this is in top notch condition, in deciding what to go with and unless you already have given the once over you might need to consider this.

Personally for me, I probably would go with 15x6 rather than 15x7 on a GTV or spider and with something like my Giulia more likely 14x6 (which is precisely what I have had in the past on my 2L Berlina, 1750 GTV and will use on my Giulia). However as far as tyres are concerned for the Giulia I won't go wider/lower than say 185x60 tyre.  On the GTV I had 195s which I really liked. 
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

GG105

David details this very well.

He is correct that to experience the delicacy and genius of a 105, you need to at least drive one on the original skinny wheels and tyres before you try wider and larger wheels.

I've owned 105s now for over 20 years. They are very sensitive to suspension condition and set up. Changes in rim width and offset change the way they drive noticeably. Steering should not be heavy, low profile tyres don't agree with them, they are already very firm in the front end and low profile tyres ruin the ride, make the steering heavy and, as David says, tramline and transmit vibration through the steering.

The best driving 105 I've ever owned was a low mileage original Super on the standard 5" rims, it was sublime, compliant, comfortable, with wonderful steering. I have a set of 14 x 6" GTA replicas for my stepnose 1300 Jnr. I'm going to fit the tallest tyres I can find to offset the extra width and positive offset.

In a similar vein I'm currently taking my 85 GTV6 back to standard ride height for the same reasons.

Regards
John
1959 Giulietta Sprint
1969 GT 1300 Junior
1970 Giulia 1300 TI
1975 Ferrari 365 GT4
1990 Mazda MX5
2005 BMW 330Ci
2014 Porsche Turbo

Velocemoto

Interesting points...

I like the extra mechanical grip of the 195 contemporary rubber, and find the 55 profile supplies a decent ride on the 15X7. I'm not sure you'd class 55profile as a low one:-) With all steering and suspension bushes redone as well, the Spider feels fantastic to drive. Steering is still light, grip is fantastic.

The only negative having set all this up, is the mechanical grip probably outweighs the performance of the little 1750cc. The car doesn't drift or slide like it use when really trying. Ultimately though it's now a much quicker and safer car to drive than it was IMO.

71' 1750 Spider

gebe1

A really interesting read with many good points to consider. Can I add, Some series 2 spider owners like myself have added 3 point seatbelts which require the modification of the extra bolt into the rear wheel arch. just make sure this is correctly located and not interferring with a wider wheel selection. Also, when changing wheels and tyres, think about the rolling diameter and the speedometer reading, albeit 105's are generally innaccurate, you don't want things to get worse!
73 Alfa Spider veloce
67 Alfa Guilia Super (past)
69 Alfa 1750 GTV (past)
74 Alfa Berlina 2000A (past)
77 Alfa GTV 2000 (past)

Silver105

OK so much more reading and I think I'm going for the 14x6 but with 195, 65 rubber if I can find it.  I think I have gone off the 14x7 as I like the look of the 14x6... not sure why but too much tire on a 105 makes the front look a little out of symmetry IMO.... Maybe I should just stop researching and make a purchase...

Will post some photos when I get them before and after...

PS  I also need to put the car in for some body work, but not stripping the car completely to bare metal as it has gone through that 7 years back. Need to do some work on the front nose cone to fix an annoying issue and do some work on the rear end for the boot fit which will mean a respray ? I know Rankins and Extreme Panels are recommended but does anyone have any suggestions in the north west of Melbourne?  Here are some photos as a guide, see if you can pick what needs fixing ?

Thanks for the comments.

cheers

John 

Silver105

Sorry couldn't get the photos to load up correctly... here is another one of the front...

Cheers

John

Davidm1600

Hey John, I think I am in agreement with you re the 14 x6 using the rubber specification mentioned, re your GTV.  For a Super and/or a Berlina, I am not sure you could use 195 tyres, as per what I previously noted.

Re your GTV it looks in fantastic condition, and I am sure you have good reason to want work done to it, but from the photos I am not sure I can see what the issues of concern are.  Rankins certainly do rate very highly, but hopefully others can chip in with alternatives in your area of Melbourne.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Silver105

Yes she looks great from a distance but their are some little things that have crept up. I did not do the restoration but I have about 900 photos of the work so I know most of it was good. However, the body even though it went back to bare metal has some alignment issues and has a few few small rust blisters that I have noticed on the front nose of the car and one on the passenger door, plus a little accident on the front driver door that caused a 10 cent chip of paint to come off the car. But it is the lines of the bonnet not fitting as they should with the nose and the boot that I have an issue with. This was caused by the bare metal work on the front not being done perfectly and so the lines aren't great which just annoys me every time I drive the car. The top of the nose sits too high and I can see a hair line crack emerging where the join would have been just above the outside front light on the top section of the nose of the car. I have the photo of the repair and it seems to be done well, all steel no filler but that needs to be looked at or replaced. Hence, I need some assistance as I'm a desk jockey. I have spoken to one recommended panel shop and they seem to be the business but they all seem to be on the other side of town and miles out of town. I'm in NW of Melbourne and would be keen to see if their are any recommendations for my side of town.

Cheers

JJ

LaStregaNera

Looks like it's been hit in the tail at some point - the rear apron isn't right either - this would explain the bootlid being too wide for the gap.
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

Silver105

Yes spot on.... when it was stripped bare you could see the dodgy patch up job, the old patch up was cut out and a straight part rear/ part quarter panel put in for the affected area but the mis alignment wasn't really addressed with the boot, when the previous owner had the chance to fix it ? Who knows why but I'm now left with the problem which I think will be possible to fix.  If only I knew then what I know now and could have interpreted the photos better....... However, I feel obliged to fix her properly.

So back to the question ? Panel shop NW of Melbourne. I live in Niddrie ? Any recommendations ? As mentioned I have spoken to a recommended shop in the SE suburbs that I'll most probably take the car to as they do quality work and come recommended but just looking to see if anyone knows anyone closer to home on the NW side of the city.