jts oil filter

Started by t-rev, April 14, 2014, 05:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t-rev

Hi, is the oil filter for a 156 jts(2006) any different than the earlier jts's. Low funds have prompted me to start doing my own maintenance! However, i have lots of time on my hands and any advice on a basic service would be greatly appreciated , thanks

colcol

There are 2 types of oil filters for 156 JTS's early and late, i would assume that the first series of the JTS, 2002 - 2004 had the early type oil filters and the second series of the JTS, 2004 - 2006 had the late type, ....although, they may have made a change halfway through a particular run.
My JTS is the early one, 2002, and i have used small and large oil filters on it, i think the 2nd series JTS had different exhaust / cats, that restricted the size of the oil filter, so the later ones used a smaller filter.
Some filter catalogues list 2 filters, some only list one, a smaller filter that fits both series.
The filters are tiny, compared to the big one in my 33, so on the 156 i would change it every oil change as it can't have much filtering capacity, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

colcol

When i say big and small filters, i should have said short and long, from what i have seen, the early JTS has a longer distance, between filter mount and exhaust pipe, so it uses longer filter, the later JTS has bigger pipe, so less distance to fit in filter, while you are changing the filter, check for leaks around the sump and oil heat exchanger, a know source of leaks, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

t-rev

Thanks Col, i purchased both sizes to be sure from bursons in Mornington and will return the one i don't need, the one that is shorter in in fact wider.I'm really surprised how reliable this car has been, not a hiccup since the lamda connections were cleaned. Is that picture of your's the 70's oz tv star 'deadly Earnest'?

colcol

It doesn't seem to matter that much about the diameter, there is a bit of room there, its the height or length that is the issue, my JTS has been good too, but then again i look after it, no that picture is really me me!, you must meet me one day to confirm, who is this Deadly fellow anyway to which you refer to?, Colin.

t-rev

Hey, i can't get the sump plug off!, i'm afraid to use more force because of damaging it. Is this normal?The allen key fits snuggly but it's like it's welded on

colcol

Make sure you are going anti clockwise, give the sump plug a few taps with a ball peen hammer to 'shock' it loose, squirt some WD-40 on it, as it may have seized on the outside of the sump, get a paint stripper heat gun and apply some heat to it, and at a last resort if this doesn't work, try some spray freeze that freezes the plug and causes it to contract and have a bit of movement on the threads.
When i first got my JTS, the sump plug had been mangled and i ended up getting off with a spline socket that i hammered in, as the hex was all rounded off.
This seems a problem on these motors as there are a few sump plugs for sale off ebay, and you need a washer with a seal in it, you can see them as they are usually for sale with the sump plug, i was curious when i purchased mine, as to see what sort of tool i had to use on it, it was a hexagon head socket, like for cap screws, Colin.

Neil Choi

Can I ask if you are using an allen key shaped like a "L".  The "L" allen key will not give you enough leverage to undo the plug.  Perhaps.

You might want to, instead, use a 3/8" allen key socket, fitted to a long 3/8" ratchet, giving you more leverage, turning anti clockwise of course.

Just a thought.

t-rev

Ha Ha,i just used a'L' shaped key and destroyed it! I'v got if of though, used another hex shape connected to a wrench and me using my legs, all my might, wd40 and the help of three angry gorilla's. As it turns out, it wasn't a hex shape bolt!, but it hung on. Oil filter came off nicely.Tanks for advice.

colcol

As i said, a sump plug is quite easy to buy new, this must happen often, use a torque wrench when you put the new one on, use a low profile hex tool next time, so that when you put some elbow into it, it doesn't try and twist out, Colin.

Mick A

No offence intended here, but it sounds like you have minimal mechanical knowledge, and the reason you want to do the work yourself is to save money correct?

t-rev

yes, although i have always done my own oil changes,spark plugs, air filter etc, but i wouln't try and do the cambelt myself. I found some copper washers on ebay. Talking about the cambelt, it's only done 20k since the last change but 3 years is nearly up?

Garibaldi

Saving money and owning an Alfa Romeo are generally two things that don't go together. I admire your determination in wanting to maintain the car yourself but be careful as any mistakes you make may end up costing you more in the long run. :-\

t-rev

Thanks, i think il' do the sump plug better next time with the right tool

colcol

When you get a new sump plug get a new washer as well, some call them Dowty washers or bonded seal washers, don't use copper washers as they don't have a seal on them, and torque it up to about 15 lbs, like i said, low profile 1/2 inch drive hexagon socket that won't twist out, the sump plugs are very soft and round off easily.
The cambelts go hard with age, the minute you take it out of the box and expose it to heat / cold / oil, etc it starts to harden and the teeth will seperate from the belt, the belts rarely break, if you ever see up close the cam belt setup in a JTS or Twin Spark, you will be amazed at the amount of work they do, they are not under engineered, Colin.