combination relay

Started by timgtv6, March 21, 2014, 04:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timgtv6

Hi everyone,
I am having issues with my combination relay in my '83 GTV6 and am wondering if anyone has a wiring diagram for both the car side and also internal to the relay? I have had to jump the pink/white wire to a hot wire to get it home but would like to have a look at replacing this with a couple of normal relays if possible.
Cheers
Tim

colcol

Hello Tim, for most relays the terminal numbers are
30 = Battery
87 = to part you are trying to power
86 =  positive from switch
85 =  negative or earth
note terminals no 85 and 86 can be changed around, so 85 is positive and 86 negative,
Bosch, Hella, SWF, Jaycar and other relays have different terminal patterns, so don't just plug in new relay, check for patterns on old and new, why is there no standard on these???, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Al Campbell

Tim,

New double relays are available. This sucker is one of the many show-stoppers. ::)

Attached the cct for the relay. I have the diagrams for the 1983 from the owners manual, but it's 3Mb zipped. Would you like to PM or E-Mail me so I can send them too you?

AL.

bteoh

Tim,

This link might clarify some things that you need to know about double relays.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/DoubleRelay.html

Cheers,
Brian

timgtv6

Sorry for the slow reply, I am away with work at the moment.Thanks to everyone that commented. The info is exactly what I was after. I spent half an hour replacing what i could figure out was the fuel pump switching part of the relay with a new basic relay while trying to leave the rest in tact on the off chance that this would fix my problem but due to not having diagrams at the time it was a blind attempt. Although I will probably buy a new relay to replace it I am very happy to know exactly how it is all wired up for future reference.
Thanks again
Tim

timgtv6

Thought I would give a quick update with this problem.  I ordered a new relay and decided to open the old one and have a look. The windings on both sides seemed good, the resistor tested serv and the diodes seemed to be ok. I had to go to jaycar for something else so while I was there I bought a pack of 4 new diodes for 50 cents just in case.
I replaced all of the diodes on the pcb and she started straight away without any hesitation.
I'm not sure if this is a common problem with these but thought I would share just in case anyone had an unserviceable one and wanted to try a cheap fix.
Cheers
Tim

Al Campbell

Light clean of the relay contacts (points?) may help too when you have it apart.

My indicator/flasher relay seemed to like having its contacts cleaned about every 12 months too. Meant to get a new one but never have.