gt just got worse

Started by alfa.dude, March 09, 2014, 09:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfa.dude

heya guys
i posted the other day about my gt sounding like a diesel and using about 2 liters of oil every 1000 ks,
well today i have had "motor control system failure" flash up on 2 occasions, and vdc and abs failure codes too! all today! and now when i change gears "selespeed" is makes a whoosh sound....

any advice? cars booked in for Tuesday but i want to at least be able to tell the mechanic what to look for...

cheers
cars done 100476ks
current:
2007 Brera S
2006 GT
2002 147
1989 33 Boxer

Previous:
1998 Spider

Future:
Alfa 75
Alfa GTV6 (916)

colcol

You have booked it into Maceuri Motors on Tuesday, they would have seen this before, not sure if i would drive there, a tow might be a wise move, unless its only down the road, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Cool Jesus

Dude, leave it with the mechanic to diagnose as col suggests, avoid driving it. Perhaps note down all the symptoms and how it came about so you don't forget or miss anything when you take it in. Your oil consumption is unusual, and your chosen mech should diagnose it fairly quick. It's much easier to see it in the flesh than to ponder and theorise over a forum. Now your throwing selespeed at us, arghhh, hope its a quick and easy fix mate, we all know how disheartening it is to have ones alfa of the road. Make sure you come back with a result for us.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

DamoNewland

Hey mate how did the GT go at the garage? Got a vested interest 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marxalfa

"Alfa's are like insanely jealous girlfriends who demand attention and on occasion will do something out of character just to test you and add a little drama"

DamoNewland

Yeah mines booked into Mauceri motors this Wednesday to have the very same thing done, think it's gonna need a water pump and thermo too 😳

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alfa.dude

gt is at monza in bayswater, both cams are toast at only 90'000 ks, bad show modern alfa! never had any issues with my old 2.0 twinspark with twice the k's!

list so far is......

2x cams
oil leaks in exaust somewhere and timing cover
new lifters all round
variators
water pump
timing belt
tensioners and pulleys
gaskets
clutch solinoid
and more that hugh hasnt mentioned yet!

total bill

Thousands!

thank god for warranty!
current:
2007 Brera S
2006 GT
2002 147
1989 33 Boxer

Previous:
1998 Spider

Future:
Alfa 75
Alfa GTV6 (916)

alfa.dude

p.s. i still love her tho!!!
current:
2007 Brera S
2006 GT
2002 147
1989 33 Boxer

Previous:
1998 Spider

Future:
Alfa 75
Alfa GTV6 (916)

colcol

Sounds like its been abused and not serviced correctly, the cams have worn out due to oil dilution, which means it has been run too long in the car, if you do lots of city driving, then change the oil more often, oil is most likely the cheapest thing you will ever put in your engine, certainly a lot cheaper than new cams.
Variators wear out over time, but more so with crook oil, water pump, pulleys and tensioners, cam and balance shaft belts are consumables that have to be changed on a regular basis.
Make sure the oil is changed more often and take for a good run and give her an 'Alfa Romeo tuneup', that will burn all the contamination out of the sump, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

alfa.dude

Spoke to Mick and Hugh today and seems my car had been mistreated badly by its previous owner!

Lesson to be learnt here..... it costs a couple of hundred to get someone like monza or mauceri to check out a car before you buy of which i failed to do as the car was interstate (no excuse) and a couple of hundred is nothing compared to the price of someone elses misuse!!! in this case thousands!

You cant check everything in a car yard or someones front yard!!!

So costly lesson learnt!

Cheers
current:
2007 Brera S
2006 GT
2002 147
1989 33 Boxer

Previous:
1998 Spider

Future:
Alfa 75
Alfa GTV6 (916)

alfa.dude

just got the gt back today, totally different car!

Theres still noise but no where near the noise there was!

The big surprise is the selespeed.... it works sooooo well and smooth!
I ve never been a fan of them but now its running right i can understand why so many people bought them new!

Special thanks to hugh and mick from monza, it took a while but very glad i got it done right and
by the right people.

I didnt pay a cent! even though they put more in than the warranty company covered!

Thanks again

current:
2007 Brera S
2006 GT
2002 147
1989 33 Boxer

Previous:
1998 Spider

Future:
Alfa 75
Alfa GTV6 (916)

colcol

When you take your Alfa Romeo to Alfa Romeo Service providers, you get a good result as thats all they work on, how do you think a franchised car repair place would go fixing a selespeed?, no i would be taking it to Monza Motors as well, Colin.