2.0 jts using oil and sounding like a diesel, is this common?

Started by alfa.dude, March 08, 2014, 10:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfa.dude

Hi all

My 2.0 jts gt has started using copious amounts of oil with no smoke or leaks and has developed a diesel like rattle.

Is this possibly the variator?

Any advice would be hot, fully serviced at 100ks

Cheers all
current:
2007 Brera S
2006 GT
2002 147
1989 33 Boxer

Previous:
1998 Spider

Future:
Alfa 75
Alfa GTV6 (916)

Cool Jesus

The diesel sound seems a variator symptom, although a little early? For a fully serviced vehicle. Our 147 has just started sounding like a diesel at 164K with SFA servicing before I came across it about 12mnths ago.
Your oil consumption is curious. Just to make it more objective, what quantity are you giving copious amounts? And what distances is it using this oil up at?
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

colcol

Hello alfa.dude, if it has started to sound like a diesel, it might be the variator, they seem to be sensitive to the type of oil used, and they can sometimes get noisy at high kilometres.
The type of oil to use is 10 - 60 fully synthetic racing oil, of your favourite brand of oil maker.
How much is large amounts of oil?, a freind who has an Audi with direct injection uses 1 litre per thousand kilometres, and the dealer says that is acceptable, [so they don't have to repair it under warranty], my JTS uses  about 500 mls per month / 1500 klms.
It can depend on the oil you use, the original sticker on my JTS, [2002], says to use 10 - 40, but the dealers found they were using too much oil, so Alfa Romeo upgraded the oil to 10 - 60.
Different oils with different viscosity and brands use different makeups in their oils, so the car will use different amounts of oil.
The JTS engine is direct injected, and the ring design allows a bit of oil to get past the rings, that is the same for Alfa Romeo, Holden, Audi and Volkswagon, JTS stands for JET THRUST STOICHAMETRIC, which is Alfa speak for high pressure fuel injection.
I would suggest you take it to an Alfa Romeo service provider, as seen on the Forum header, they have seen this problem before and will know how to deal with it.
Welcome to Alfa Romeo ownership, the GT is a hell of a good looking car with the practical 147 interior, how about a picture of it.
Next friday night at ALFAMAN, the Victorian Alfa Romeo Club is having a workshop night to look at 147's, 156's, 166's, GTV's, Spiders and GT's, this is a must for all the owners of these cars, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

alfa.dude

thanks everyone!

will be booking her in to mauceri motors on Tuesday!

will get it sorted out, and also Matthew from alfa men has invited me there so will be in attendance

cheers
current:
2007 Brera S
2006 GT
2002 147
1989 33 Boxer

Previous:
1998 Spider

Future:
Alfa 75
Alfa GTV6 (916)