Polish suggestions for a red Sud?

Started by DAMO1A, March 13, 2014, 02:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAMO1A

Hi

My red Alfasud is suffering from a bit of paint fade around where it has had some body work done in the past.  I would like to give it a bit of a polish to take it to AutoItalia in a few weeks. 

Any suggestions for the type of polish that would be best suited to the task? 

Thanks
Damo
2015 Giulietta QV TCT
1990 Alfa Spider Series 4

Barry Edmunds

There is al almost unlimited variety of 'good' polishes available. Meguiars is the choice of many and they have a very comprehensive range of products that will bring your Sud back to life. Not the cheapest but very good.

colcol

Use Turtle brand 'swirl and scratch remover, it has very fine cutting compounds in it and it won't shine it up in an hour, but a bit of effort, it will shine it up good with the least paint removal.
When you are happy with your effort, put a coat of wax on it just to protect it.
The art of polishing is removing big scratches with little scratches.
When i was Sudding, [it was red], for a quick shine up with minimum effort, i use to use 'NU FINISH'.
I cannot beleive i purchased it, they advertised it on late night telly, that you could clean and polish your car in an hour, one day i saw it at K-Mart and purchased it and got home and thought, 'why have i bought this crap?', Price + Time + Effort + Result, this product was tops, it came in a bright orange container, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Evan Bottcher

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

DAMO1A

Quote from: colcol on March 13, 2014, 09:08:38 PM

The art of polishing is removing big scratches with little scratches.

Colin that is great advice.  Thanks
2015 Giulietta QV TCT

DAMO1A

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on March 13, 2014, 09:59:41 PM
Photos of the Sud please? :-)

It is a work in progress.

2015 Giulietta QV TCT

sud901

Wow - that's looking really good! Did you try the clay bar?

colcol

I find that claybars are great at getting all the crap out of the paintwork on a newish car, but on an older car doesn't remove scratches as well as a swirl remover polish.
But the first time i used a clay bar on my 156, i was amazed at how smooth it left the paint finish, you could put a polishing cloth on the roof, and it would slide off onto the ground, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

DAMO1A

Quote from: sud901 on March 16, 2014, 05:39:41 PM
Wow - that's looking really good! Did you try the clay bar?

I haven't tried the clay bar. I think that will be next.
2015 Giulietta QV TCT

marxalfa

awesome looking sud mate...

these guys are fantastic bought heaps of quality stuff off them and done a detailing clinic with them too, here are all the details including short how to videos

http://howto.carcareproducts.com.au/

hope we see some 'after' pics
"Alfa's are like insanely jealous girlfriends who demand attention and on occasion will do something out of character just to test you and add a little drama"

Evan Bottcher

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

DAMO1A

2015 Giulietta QV TCT