Intro - and hopefully another 156 back on the road...

Started by BlackBetty2003-156, February 18, 2014, 02:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackBetty2003-156

Hi Guys,

Thought I should introduce myself...  seems only the proper thing to do!

I am in the process of recovering an un-loved and neglected 156 Selespeed in Canberra... and you guessed it - it was un-loved because it proved to have too many electrical issues for the previous owner....  I on the other hand like to tinker. ;)

She is a little temperamental Black 2003 156  TS2.0 selespeed. So I called her BlackBetty....

I have had quite a few quirky cars... A VW Golf for my first car, two Beetles, and have a SAAB 900s as a daily driver....   Back in my parents garage - and probably the first car I worked on is a 1926 Austin 7 Chummy....  cute to drive and maybe should be considered a little temperamental too.... I guess you get that with old age.... :-\

I'm not much of a forum poster but welcome the ample knowledge that is on offer amongst your members.... I guess once I have this 156 Selespeed figured out I might be able to offer more up.. and as I am electronic engineer, majored in robotics, I figured I should be able to sort out the Selespeed once I can understand how she thinks....

The big issue I have with BlackBetty is that she is a reluctant engager.... that is the clutch doesn't want to grab from a standing start... used to be only above 90degrees, now its permanent....makes it a bit hard to get in and out of car parks and achieve hill starts and requires a hard rev range to eventually step up the clutch pressure!

Currently running ALFA OBD to help to understand the Selespeed quirks....  but currently the Selespeed logic defies my reverse engineering - or maybe I have not yet started thinking in Italian...  the software seems to integrate too many sensors and maybe hides the actual failure.... I also have too many other projects to complete...

Anyway - I'd love to get BlackBetty back on the road - as she is a great car to drive and I figure if I can get to know her I will never be lacking in something to tinker with....also maybe I can get rid of the SAAB which has no passion!

I'll not shame BlackBetty's modesty by posting a photo of her current cobwebbed and dejected appearance....

Bevan.

BlackBetty2003-156

Incidentally...  I spent some time this afternoon and may have my main issues fixed.....  It appears my Selespeed issues may have been caused by an Earthing fault that turns up as the engine and gearbox hits about 90 degrees..... All the usual faults suggested many of the sensors were faulty, but only when heated up!   I found it by checking the resistance between the neg terminal and the gearbox, which measured a few hundred ohms when hot, and zero when cold.   

A quick tightening of the earth strap bolts appears to have solved my problem.  I guess the pressure may drop and the calibration veer off with their changed voltage with I assume a corroded earth strap connection!

Still need to re calibrate the clutch, and a bunch of minor trim fixes before being comfortable she is reliable..., maybe I'll celebrate with a car wash!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

colcol

Welcome BlackBetty2003-156, [ bamberlamb ], i notice you have yours as a 2003, that year suggests that it is a JTS, not a twin spark, it may have been a 2002 last of the twin sparks, and not registed until 2003.
Welcome to the Forum, it is great fun, as you learn more than you put back in, as there is so much knowledge out there.
I have a 156 JTS, 2002 model, and have had it for 5 years, and after i fix the leaking sump, hope to have it going in a week or so, can't wait, in the meantime i will press on with the good trusty 33.
I am a old bloke too, and i find the Forum quite easy to use, apart from posting photo's which has eluded me, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

poohbah

Go on Bevan - show us a pic - even in cobwebs blackbetty will be beautiful, and then we will be able to appreciate her even more when you get her back to her proper state.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)