Coolant Change/Radiator Questions

Started by DHDamo, April 09, 2014, 05:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHDamo

Hi knowledgeable ones - looking to do my first coolant change on the GTV and have some questions.  Have read up on threads on here and will purchase concentrate and mix myself with demineralised water as per label, however:

My 2 manuals (Haynes & Autobooks) aren't helping me locate bleed screws. 
1. They both say there should be 1 on the water pump (bleed screw seems to mount vertically from the top based on dia.) - well not on this one.  There's 4 mounting bolts along the top but all screw in from the front. Any thoughts?
2. They suggest a bleed screw on the thermostat - the Haynes one even has a pic of it (when the thermostat is removed).  It doesn't appear to be there on this thermostat - I don't have to remove to find bleed screw do I?
3. There's apparently a bleed screw on the manifold - any hints in locating this?

It must seem like my eyes don't work but the normally very helpful manual diagrams aren't doing the trick at the moment.  Anyone got a '84 or had one and got any suggestions?

On the upside - I have located the engine drain plug on the opposite side of engine.

Thanks,

DB
Now:
'84 GTV
'12 Nissan Navara D22

Then:
'83 Giulietta ('01-'06)

alfagtv152

Hi DB,
I will assume we are talking 2L GTV,the 84 should have a small hose on top of the thermostat housing that runs back to the coolant tank.This is pretty much the highest point of the cooling system and should bleed it for you,if your not sure just loosen the banjo bolt and bleed it there then lock it up again and look for flow in the coolant tank,I think you should be able to detect the flow in the tank,might need a few RPM.
Cheers
Andrew
SEE YOUR BACKSIDE TRACKSIDE.White 156 TI JTS,Silly Speed.

DHDamo

Yes 2L. That sounds like the go. Thanks.
Now:
'84 GTV
'12 Nissan Navara D22

Then:
'83 Giulietta ('01-'06)