Just bought an alfa

Started by Romeo156, March 12, 2008, 04:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Romeo156

Hi everyone

Just picked up an 02 156 in black really happy with the car. I never had an alfa before but i just took one for a test drive and bought it right away. liked the sound of the engine and the selespeed. Is there anything i need to look out for with this car? it only travelled 57k's with full log books from alfa n stuff. I also want to buy the Zender body kit where can i pick up those kit? Right now i just took the car back to the dealer as i heard some ratling noise in the manifold when on iddle and the starter is a bit cranking in the morning cannot wait to get it back. any advice will be much appreciated thank you

Jekyll and Hyde

If its a 4 cylinder petrol, get the cambelt changed NOW.  If it hasn't been done recently.  They're due at 60,000km anyways.

Romeo156

whoah yeah it is 4 cylinder. i got 59k's on it. i checked the logbooks alfa mccarolls just had it serviced at 57. maybe or i assume they will change the cambelt but kust to make sure i will ring them up. and i will take it back to the dealers

John Hanslow

Great to hear of your purchase 156.  Take TurboGTV's advise asap.

Just a point or two.  I know in Victoria the dealers display the name of the previous owner on the sale note. A quick call to them could be a wealth of information.  Maybe in NSW there is similar or details in service book.

It's great that your new car has upto date service books with it.  However, you have to look at the service invoice to see if any faults or report on outstandings were attended to.   

You do not know if on the last service the report was that  ... "engine has rattling noise, full engine analysis & inspection advised ....".  The owner may have only authorised the standard book service. That information will not be stamped in the log book.

And another caution, an independant inspection is invaluable, as a problem needs identification and then rectification.  Some dealers unfortunately will be acting in their interest all the way.

Get car checked out independantly by an Alfa Dealer or similar so YOU know what the noise is. Not sure but Maccrolls are your best point here. Remember your inspection report is for you.  One organised by the dealer is for him and you may not be aware of the actual situation.

Hope all goes well as I am sure this could be a simple easy fix.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata