Video from MSCA Winton last week.

Started by jimnielsen, March 07, 2008, 06:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimnielsen

This is a video of a few 1:36 laps at Winton at the MSCA Sprint in my Giulietta, last weekend. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dADhKf6Um4

JimN~
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
'90 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 IE - my god! I can compete in Trofeo class!! -

hammer

Jim,

Thanks for the vision mate. Looks like a heap of fun. The tacho and speedo on screen are a great tool for beginners like me to get a feel for what's going on in your car.

How does that 1.36 compare with other Vic AROCA members?

Are many of your crew considering going up to Wakefield Park in September for the Alfa Romeo East Coast Challenge?

Regards,

Brent

alfagtv58

Hi Brent,

1.36 at Winton is FAAAST in anyones language, and for a 2 Litre is outstanding!!  Jim is a very good steerer and has won the Vic racing class many times before!  To put it in perspective the V8's are going around Winton in around 1.23 and QLD raceway in 1.10......so Jim's Giulietta could probably lap QLD raceway in approx 1.23/24 ish.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Jekyll and Hyde

Thats not fair... your throttle bodies make a much better sound than mine..... I blame it on the fact that your motor seems to wake up where mines tailing off, and stretches out an extra 2,000rpm!  (You went within 100rpm of 8g on about the second lap  :o)

On the plus side, Winton looks to be a fairly slow track speedwise for a fairly standard GTV....  But hectic for corners.

hammer

Phil,

Thanks for putting that into perspective mate. Hell, that is fast. That'd be a full 10 seconds quicker than I've done on the QR National circuit. There's nothing like having a benchmark to aim for.

Jim: can you give a beginner any hints on what's under the bonnet of the Guiletta?

Thanks,

Brent

Jekyll and Hyde

Hammer, check the thread I started in photos titled "work in progress".  Jim posted a picture of his engine in there - definitely worth a look.

jimnielsen

Brent, Hi. The engine is a normal (non twin spark) built by Vin Sharp at PACE Engineering. The fuel injection system (and the Autronic SM4 ECU) were implemented by Joe Beninca. The engine has forged pistons, big valves, cams etc. Makes 175hp (rearwheel).

I don't let it run right to 8000 RPM as the ECU is set for hard fuel and spark cut at 8000 and it hurts momentum.  Best time at Winton in this car is 1:34.6

Its a blast to drive.

jimn~
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4

hammer

Hell Jim, that is a lot of power and a fine sounding set up. If I can stash enough coins in my piggy bank I will have my 75 twinspark engine rebuilt sometime next year. I definitely want to keep the fuel injection.

Roughly how much does your car weigh?

Cheers, Brent

Victor Lee

Brent,

Jim will reply you in grams.  But then he eats a hearty breakfast and doesn't shave before a sprint ... surely there's a weight saving there?  :D

Cheers

Victor
Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

jimnielsen

Victor is right - force=mass*acceleration!  The car weighs 800Kgs. Its difficult to increase horsepower in these 8 valve engines much beyond 175 at the wheels - its easier to reduce vehicle mass!

Jimn~
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4

hammer

I'm hearing you boys. I'm trying to reduce my 93kg frame down to a lean racing weight of 82kg. That must be worth at least .1sec at QR! At least my arse won't be so snug in the race seat.