147 Clutch Problem

Started by Garibaldi, November 17, 2013, 05:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garibaldi

Hi Guys,

This is an interesting one. I was driving my 147 today and the clutch pedal went straight to the floor. The actuating rod had fallen off the shaft attached to the clutch pedal. The retaining clip/ pin holding it on had fallen off and went down inside the driver's footrest. I don't know how it came off.

Anyway I removed the footrest, got it out, reattached the rod and put the retaining clip/ pin back on.

All seems fine now but it is a little concerning. I was lucky I wasn't in heavy traffic. Has this ever happened to anyone? Is this a problem with the 147 or do you think it was just an isolated incident?

Your thoughts please.

colcol

Sorry to hear about the clutch incident Mr. Garribaldi, havn't heard of it being a problem, but i don't know everything, there are thick heavy duty circlips and thin looking ones, always use a heavy duty one that requires a bit of effort to put on and a bit of effort for it to come off, sometimes the chinese ones off ebay are used and they don't have enough spring in the metal to stay on.
You might consider using an e-clip to hold the rod on, they are quite a heavy duty number and require a bit of effort to get on and off.
The rod should be a good fit in the clutch pedal and rod union, so it doesn't flop around like a cucumber in a bohler hat and work the circlip loose again.
Circlips and springpins and such should never be reused as they loose their 'spring' and can come loose, i have a ripper story about reusing parts that ended in an absolute disaster, but thats not for this forum, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Garibaldi

Thanks for the advice Col, I will see how it goes. I drove it today and the clip hasn't moved.

Garibaldi

Well it is almost one month on and the clip still hasn't moved. I am starting to think it wasn't reinstalled properly when the previous owner had the clutch replaced.