New 156 driver

Started by jimay3677, November 11, 2013, 07:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimay3677

I've run more tests. The system pressure is withing acceptable ranges when I test it idling in the driveway and shifting 1-2-N-R-N-1-2 etc but I will do some more tests later on the road to be sure.
All multiecuscan tests come out fine, clutch rod is 29.14 which is out of range but not by much and shouldn't cause these issues.

I'll adjust the rod later and while I'm at it I'll clean all the electrical connectors with some contact cleaner.
I'm hoping it's just a dirty connection somewhere or that the fluid was low.

jimay3677

Now this is embarrassing. I think the not shifting out of N was a PEBSWAC error (Problem exists between steerting wheel and chair)
Just now I discovered you can't select a gear without your foot on the brake, it's possible I didn't have my foot on the brake at least that's what I'm hoping it was.

The trouble going into 1st could be the rod distance?

jimay3677

By the way, I'm an IT network administrator by trade so the fact this system is computerized I find good as it helps me understand it, it's a bonus that I also understand cars quite well too :)

jimay3677

Ok. Some of the selespeed has been spat back out the breather

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

extraball

take it back for warranty, I wouldnt tell them about messing with it yourself

jimay3677

There is no warranty on a 10 year old car

extraball

jimay3677

Yeah tell me about it.. I'm wondering if the revving in first was from the selespeed downshifting automatically as I pressed down to select 1st and it got confused? And as I said the stuck in neutral may have been me taking my foot off the brake..

jimay3677

Well.  Have been driving around today with not one issue.. so if I took it back I doubt it would do it. The second time it did the rev in first I engaged second gear and it took off so maybe first gear is a bit notchy in the actual box.

jimay3677

Ahhh. What's the beep from the radio every ten seconds???? Driving me nuts

colcol

Try pressing the TA button to disable the hicut, i have no idea why or what it does, but it worked for me, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Neil Choi

TA, I believe stands for traffic alert or something like that.

So that no emergency signals come through on the radio.

I think.

jimay3677

Thanks. That's better I opened the boot, all the doors, the bonnet, checked all the lights etc.

Well, I've been driving around heaps today after setting the clutch to 28.3mm and running the selespeed calibration routines with MultiECUScan and it's running fantastic.
I cleaned some of the plug contacts with electrical cleaner and blew them out with a compressor, I also noticed the plug boots on the main selespeed loom were a bit cracked and falling apart so I taped them up with electrical tape just to keep crap out of the wires.

I can now shift gears without lifting off the accelerator and the changes are about as smooth as my shifts in a manual if not smoother and definitely quicker.
But OMFG! this thing is going to cost me a fortune..... in fuel!! because I can't stop driving it! I haven't wanted to just drive around since I was on my P's

colcol

I was going to say when you have an enormous problem with your car you don't know how you are going to fix it and you want to sell it, then you work through your problems one by one and you get through it and you feel good and you feel 10 foot tall, then you look back and wonder what all the fuss was about, glad to see you fixed it, happy motoring, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

colcol

On the subject of beeps on the radio, mine used to do it when i first got it and i will try and find out how i stopped it, i am sure i pressed the TA button, i will try to find out, Colin.