New 156 driver

Started by jimay3677, November 11, 2013, 07:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimay3677

Hi everyone, next week I will receive my 2002 156 JTS Selespeed.
It's done 127,000k, service book is all up to date. I've paid $7500 and but the 120,000k service had not been done which they are doing before I pick it up.
I wanted a manual but they were hard to find so decided just to get this one as it's in pretty good nick.
My wife talked me into looking at the car, I wasn't too interested, didn't mind the looks, interior looked nice so I thought reluctantly that I'd better take the thing for a drive, it's a four door sedan after all not a sports coupe, it will probably handle like a boat and I will be yelling "GO GO GO!".

Well what a surprise! I think by the first corner I was sold, I love it and can't believe how comfortable and well handing these cars are.

The selespeed system is smooth (provided I took my foot off the throttle changing) I ran through all the gears with no issue, engine is smooth and quiet.
I'm a little concerned with how reliable selespeeds are supposed to be but at 32 I don't drive hard all the time, I also change oils and fluid before they are due and fix problems asap, I will probably change all the fluids quite soon to full synth.

A few things that I need to do straight away are find a new key and fob and also the drivers side mirror has the black plastic peeling off the rubber part? (hard to describe) I'll just buy a relacement and a few 100ml paint and put a new one on, unless I can replace just the black part?

Now the horrible wait until next week when I can pick it up :(

extraball

congrats, I am a first time alfa owner, and after 5 months am still amazed how these things corner stock standard.

Cool Jesus

Mate, welcome aboard the test drive sounds very promising. Yes no matter what model Alfa finds itself in your possession, you can cerntainly feel the racing stock that it grew from. You'll find that most, if not all the oil is synthetic in modern Alfas, but your a little like myself, can't trust previous owners without written records so may aswell do it yourself to be sure  ::)
The 120k service (assuming 2.0 twin spark) wasn 't done because it involves the timing belt replacement. I guess they (a dealership I presume) didn't want to go through the expense of its replacement until the vehicle sold (btn $1000-1500). Make sure you get a written record of what was done, you should have the timing belt, idler pulley, balance shaft belt, auxilary belt, engine oil, oil filter as a minimum replaced during this service. Also the brake fluid needs flushing at this service interval, unless already done in the past 24 months.
It would hurt to see if they are replacing the water pump, which they probably won't, if they are not ask them to do it while the engine is apart and foot the bill for the part now (~ $100-150).
Not sure about the selespeed actuator servicing requirements, but I'm sure there would be something to do there aswell. Oils replace, seals, brushes not sure mate, maybe a selespeed owner could chime in here...

But, yeah, I see selespeed problems usually occuring when owners don't maintain them. Although Alfas aren't like a hyundai excell or old holden, which could go for years with minimal servicing, Alfas have tighter tolerances and need regular upkeep per scheduled maintance. Look after it and the smile you had on the test run won't go away. Like ET, I bought a 147 for my daughter. No service records at all other than confirming the timing belt was done. Ran OK, but not Alfa OK. Wouldn't rev quite hard enough, anyhow after some months of fixing years of previous owner's neglect it runs like a rocket now. It simply needed a little TLC and complete service overhaul and it now drives like new.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

John Hanslow

Hi there jimay3677.

Cool Jesus had covered most aspects of the situation. Time and time again we have cars that have had the minimum done to keep them on the road and the next owner suffers because of this. Belts are done but not the bearings and variator.

Now at Spettacolo 2013, out annual Concors and Show'n Shine, we also will be supporting our regional members and the Ballarat Dealer (Peter Stephens Motorworld) by having a hospitality tent.

I am a big believer in supporting all Victorian Alfa Club members and friends so hope to see you on the day.

http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/content/view/391/1/
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

colcol

Every second cam belt chenge, the water pump should be changed as well, as it is part of the cam belt pulley system, change a water pump on its own and it would almost cost as much as a cam belt change.
Change the pump when the cam belts out and its just sitting there looking at you, take out a few bolts and its out, pumps cost $50 - $150 depending on quality and brand.
If you can't find someone to do the maintainence on the Selespeed around Wangaratta, it may be worth a drive to Melbourne once a year to gets experts to do the work, better to drive down than be towed down, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Marc P

try milanos they should have mirror

jimay3677

I'm actually starting to wonder if I should cancel the purchase while in the cooling off period with all the issues people seem to have had with selespeeds.

extraball

Quote from: jimay3677 on November 13, 2013, 12:04:51 AM
I'm actually starting to wonder if I should cancel the purchase while in the cooling off period with all the issues people seem to have had with selespeeds.

I am a newbie alfa owner, but know the informed purchaser side of me says YES! there are a ton of manual alfas for sale, and the money your parting with will prob even get you a lower kilometer example.

Cool Jesus

It's your call jimay (private school?)
Just be mindful that you will read more negatives than positives. Why would you seek help if the selespeed is working as it should. You just need to factor in maintenance in your future budget. I will say that if I read correctly it's an early model, so if the service history is good, test drive was good and if you need an auto then you should be ok. But your preference is for a manual, hmmm it's very easy to buy an Alfa with ones heart rather than head. As extra said, my personal choice is a manual with Alfas, as god intended  ;D
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

jimay3677

private school?  I just never liked Jimmy

I spoke to a guy (forgot his name) at Alfamen who put my mind at ease so I am going ahead with the purchase.
He seemed to think it was a good purchase from what I described.
He advised to make sure I have the water pump done along with the belts kit so I have asked for it to be done.

I will just have to factor in making a trip down to somewhere like Alfamen every couple of years, I've also ordered a diagnostic cable too, yes I work on my own cars 90% of the time from clutches to timing belts to manual conversions of V6 Magna's it's my hobby, I also run all my cars on 95-98 octane fuels (98 is getting a little too expensive now) and have been changing fluids with synthetics at half the recommended interval for years, except cough cough, my wifes car does go over quite a lot with servicing.

Domenic

There's a few other mechanics on your way to Alfamen if you're coming all the way from Wangaratta which are closer to you. Might save you some travel time and all have over 25 plus years experience as a minimum.

There's Northern Alfa in Thomastown, Ralph Guastella Motors in Brunswick, Il Bolide Rosso in Thornbury, Maranello PurSang Motors and Auto Sprint Motors again in Brunswick.

jimay3677

So the dealer are going to do the water pump while they are doing the belt. They obviously didn't like droppng the original price so much as they are charging $395 to do the wp which to me is quite excessive? I would think a wp is no more ths $150, $50 coolant and maybe an hours extra labor. But I need it done so kinda have to just cough up the dough. Luckily I sold the springs i took off my last car yesterday for $180

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

poohbah

Jimay, I don't have anything technical to add to the discussion, but as a relatively recent member of the 156 fraternity myself, I want to say just enjoy your new chariot. Even after 18 months of owning my Series 1 V6 (manual), I got busted yesterday by the missus for admiring it as we pulled out of the driveway in the family conveyance. Its beautiful to look at, beautiful to listen to, and  most of all, beautiful to drive. That's what Alfa is all about.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Cool Jesus

Yeah, sounds a little steep in price. It may be a genuine Alfa pump, in any case you'll have peace of mind that it's done. Alternative is having it fail later which would cost almost a grand at a mechanic, let alone the risk of cooking the motor.
Private school = j'maie private school girl ::) my attempt at humour.
As poo mentioned, don't loose your buzz over it, sounds like your on a good thing here and you have some sense when it comes to car maintenance.
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

jimay3677

I think perhaps they sent a tech to Italy to pick it up? lol