New 156 driver

Started by jimay3677, November 11, 2013, 07:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimay3677

Hi Col, the noise is gone now, it was the TA button but before finding that out I had tried opening and closing just about everything trying to track it down before realizing it was coming from the speakers not the dash.

I think I got worried when I had issues due to the car before my last which I was badly burnt with, the private seller was very deceptive and I didn't check it over properly, by the time I had spent nearly twice what I bought it for just to get it roadworthy I hated it so when more problems popped up I fixed them and got rid of it for less than I paid for it in the first place just because I hated it so much.  I was worried the same may happen with the Alfa.  I still can't get over how well it's been looked after, the interior doesn't look ten years old and only has a few minor tiny wear marks, the body has a few barely noticeable scratches that will buff out, the wheels have barely any gutter rash, the suspension is tight and barely makes any noise other than tyre noise, there's nothing but a leather smell inside (aren't those seats great!)

I am a bit concerned with the work done by the Ford dealers though in that they didn't use the correct method to change the timing belt (no blocks) and they violated the engine with Magnatec which I'm eager to dump asap and get some Penrite 10w-70 Full Synth into it.

jimay3677

Hmm, had trouble with 1st again this morning. It was with a cold gearbox that it reved in first so I selected 2nd and off it went slowly.  There were no buzzers or warnings so I suspect it's just a notchy 1st gear.

Cool Jesus

Yes col, it's definitely the TA (traffic alert), as mentioned. Had the same issue with the 147.
Jimay, I can assure you the what you're feeling is exactly what Alfa is all about. Keep the maintenance up and you won't look back. As Col said, those with little mechanical proficiency would sooner blame the marque and off load the car. I'm no mechanic by any stretch, and like you I'm at pains to have anyone else look at my cars. Over the past couple of years I've saved $1000s if not tens in doing my own work. Even now the wife and I arm wrestle over who gets to drive the spider.
Just noticed your last post. Make sure the battery is up to scratch, second hand cars invariably have batteries that aren't up to the task. I hear battery outlets will load test and check your battery for free.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

colcol

Purchased another Blaupunkt radio and needed a radio code, purchased one off ebay for $9, radio is off and running, Blaupunkt means 'bluedot' in German which was a dab of paint by the quality controllers that it was up to standard 'TA' button is traffic alert which brings a beep about every 15 seconds, drove me bonkers when i first purchased the car, just kept pressing buttons until it went away, press 'Menu' button and 'phone' came up, 156's couldn't have had blueteeth in 2002?, anyone know what it means?, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

colcol

Got a good story about Magnatec, but not for the Forum, think of it as a flushing oil in preparation for some good oil, the type to use is 10-60 fully synthetic racing oil of your favourite brand, 10-70 may be a bit thick for cold starts and will affect fuel consumption, unless it is using oil, then use a thicker oil.
Not absolutely a must to use camshaft locks, you can use sprocket locks that lock the sprockets, nee cams together, but the aluminium cam locks are the way to go if your workshop does the same model cars often, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Cool Jesus

The stock radio has the capability to add a phone wired into the rear of the unit. Not sure if it was just a cable you plugged into the phone or if a cradle was used.
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

jimay3677

Hey Colin, the oil recommended by Penrite is their Synthetic racing oil which is a 10w-70.
I'm a fan of Penrite oils, I've been using the HPR Synthetic range for a few years.

Indeed the Magnatec is a flushing oil, I'm just worried what it could do to the seals if left in too long, or left as long as the sticker they put on the car (12 months)

Cool Jesus

Hey jimay, just noticed there's a sticky thread on the selespeed here which may give you solice or angst  :-\

http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=2570.0

It would probably be better if you continued your diagnosis over on that thread, would be more appropriate than in the introductions thread  ;)

PS. I use Penrite
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Craig_m67

Quote from: colcol on November 25, 2013, 09:31:24 PM
Purchased another Blaupunkt radio and needed a radio code, purchased one off ebay for $9, radio is off and running, Blaupunkt means 'bluedot' in German which was a dab of paint by the quality controllers that it was up to standard 'TA' button is traffic alert which brings a beep about every 15 seconds, drove me bonkers when i first purchased the car, just kept pressing buttons until it went away, press 'Menu' button and 'phone' came up, 156's couldn't have had blueteeth in 2002?, anyone know what it means?, Colin.

I'm goings to assume you just refuse to read the manual :) ??

No, it doesn't have Bluetooth, it has a phone inputs on the back that will take over the system when/if it senses activation (line in voice, phone button etc), ie. from a cradle or parrot blue tooth adaptor.

Yes the TA is annoying in Aust where RDS and traffic alerts are not commonplace... they can be switched off though (read the manual).  I find the climate control more frustrating, and I have read the manual several times (just which led indicates recirculate!!)

I have spare CD/radio with code out of an '03 facelift 156 car if anybody wants one.  BTW, you can hack the CD changer input into a std aux in for an iPod/MP3 player easily enough using the std blaupunkt blue plug.

There is also a thread on alfaowner.uk where you can request your radio code by supplying the serial number, I did this just the other month, works a treat and is free :)

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/ice-and-blue-and-me/140598-need-a-radio-code-ask-here-190.html
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

colcol

Read the manual?, why would i want to do that, when i can pick the brains of good people out there, i was pushing buttons and the phone came up on the radio, had no idea what it meant.
You are right about the climate control, i have no idea how it works after reading the manual the arrows, does that mean fresh air or circulate, i just leave it on 16.5c and it seems to work good, actually works good for the whole year.
Tried getting a code a few years ago for the original radio a few years ago and i kept getting the wrong code off them and everytime you put the wrong code in, it waits a bit longer until it will accept the right code.......my radio was so peed off with me for putting the wrong code in locked me out for 24 hours, then i paid some money, $15 i think and got the correct code, Colin.

extraball

the climate control is truly mad, like nearly everything else. I am still only 60% sure that I have it fully fully sussed lol. It works well enough though, so that's the main thing. Another thing, wish they had of put a clock in the dash, or radio. I have to turn the ignition on to see the time, which activates not only the dash lights, but some other gizmos under the dash, or engine bay? I hear something powerdown after I check the time.

t-rev

My climate control on my 156 works just fine(through no fault of my own!),but it has a funny sound when turning the engine of, like a clattering sort of thing,and also the sound of powering down a jet  engine which ads a bit of fantasy!

jimay3677

Hmmm. Twice in two days we've pulled up to the driveway which is about a 30 degree slope and it's not gone into 1st and just revs, check gearbox light comes on and you have to shift into second or N then 1st again.

Do the fault codes get erased every restart?

wankski

Quote from: extraball on November 28, 2013, 07:43:46 AM
the climate control is truly mad, like nearly everything else. I am still only 60% sure that I have it fully fully sussed lol. It works well enough though, so that's the main thing. Another thing, wish they had of put a clock in the dash, or radio. I have to turn the ignition on to see the time, which activates not only the dash lights, but some other gizmos under the dash, or engine bay? I hear something powerdown after I check the time.
if the temp number is jumping around - you have a solder fault.

the whirring noises are normal - electrically operated vanes for the ducts. these reset their range of motion when you disconnect the batt for 30min and leave key in 'MAR' and wait for all of them to extend and retract - you'll hear it.

Quote from: Alfa81 on December 28, 2013, 04:16:16 PM
Do the fault codes get erased every restart?

kinda - there are transient errors that self clear if the issue goes away, or there are persistent errors that require the code to be reset by a diagnostic computer.

jbj3685

I can't remember my password for alfa81 and no longer have the email address so set up a new account :(

I just wanted to give an update on my 2003 Alfa 156 JTS.

Well, I've really had next to no issues whatsoever and just a few "wear and tear" items, the issues I've had were;

1. revving in 1st after stopping at then attempting to lgo again.
Under warranty my dealer (Ford) sent me to an Alfa dealer who replaced an engine speed sensor which seems to have eliminated this 90% of the time but it does still happen occasionally.

2. Motor Control System failure comes on every 300-500k, the fault codes are for the catalyser 2 but on investigation all the o2 sensors are working fine so I just clear the codes and am on my way again for another 300-500k, fuel consumption is 8l/100k using Vortex 98 (No BP Ultimate close by)

3. sunroof leaked
Rear drain pipe was blocked by crud.

4. Lost 4th Gear
Took to dealer along with instructions for removing swarf.

5. Thermostat knackered
Replaced with a new one.

Selespeed oil has remained at high, engine oil has been dropping 200-300ml every 1000k, I was using Penrite 5w-60 but have been topping up with HPR10 which I plan to switch to on the next oil change which I'm doing in another 4-5 weeks.

I've now done 5,000k.