tyre rubbing on the inner plastic guard

Started by extraball, November 09, 2013, 10:23:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

extraball

Front RHS tyre is rubbing on the front inner plastic guard on the 147. I know that side needs re-bushing, get some clunks on bumps etc. It's up for rego inspection on monday, thinking of removing the guard as it looks aweful, has eaten a big hole through it, but the tyre shows no sign of wear. Isnt the end of world to remove the guard? I reckon it would fail me on rego.

colcol

If they put it up on a hoist and see a knackered bush then it will most likely fail the roadworthy test anyway, and with only one plastic splash shield, they may want it replaced, i have heard of cars failing roadworthy's due to missing mudflaps.
I had the same problem with a tyre gauging through a splash shield on the 33 following a suspension failure, easier to repair spash shield with pop rivets and a sheet of galvanised steel, than to pull out splash shield and buy another, but have never pulled one out of a 147-156, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Cool Jesus

Standard rims and tyres?
Suspension must certainly be knacker to sit low enough for the tyre to foul. Must be crashing around over bumps? I wouldn't bother taking guard off if its not overly noticeable. You'll probably find they'll have an issue with suspension when they take it for brake test. Actually just thinking about it, is it making a noise on corners when rubbing? If so take it out abs cross your fingers.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

extraball

standard 16inch wheels. I found the cause, other than the flogged lower control arm, there looks to be accident damage to the bumper support that the guard attaches to. It's bent backwards a bit, causing the guard to sit closer to the tyre. A hammer cured that issue, and I removed just the wrecked part of the guard. If push comes to shove with rego, I will repair the guard. Thanks all.

colcol

Those inner plastic shields do a good job, they prevent rocks being flown up by the wheel and denting the top of the gaurd, prevent mud being flicked up and just sitting at the bottom of the gaurd, causing rust and just keeping the suspension and engine bay a bit cleaner, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]