Head re-torque sequence

Started by martym00se72, October 02, 2013, 12:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martym00se72

Hi All,
So it is coming up time to re-torque the heads (which means I have been getting some seat time in the GTV6  ;D ;D). In reading the shop manual I am unsure if I should un-do all head stud nuts one turn before re-torquing or do them one at a time following the tightening pattern? Should I go for the upper or lower end of the listed torque range? 

Also, I have found that I have a slight oil leak from under the pass. side head at the back near the exhaust outlet of cyl. 6. No oil in water or water in oil - not a bung head gasket, just a mess that is slowly dripping oil on the exhaust so when I pull up at the lights I have had a cloud of oil smoke come from the front of the car. Any ideas on how to stop this (preferably without pulling the head off...)
Cheers
Marty
'83 GTV6 - 3.0 is in! Ohhh yeah!
'99 156 T-spark - Formula 98 ready!

What do people do with their old 2.5...?

AikenDrum105

I'd do them one at a time  - if you loosen them all off,  you'll risk water / oil in the head wicking past the gasket  (which I've done in the past...  duffer)   That compromises the gasket further, and is messy ;)     I guess if you drained the water below head level and had let the car sit long enough for the oil to drain down out of the feed galleys it would be ok.

You might find a head retorque reduces the oil leak,  but if it's been there a while and the gasket is compromised  (Assuming the leak is from the head gasket / oil feed o-rings)   you'll probably need to pull the head and chuck a new gasket / o-rings  on.

Or you could make a little metal shield to drain that oil away from the exhaust ;)

Scott
'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 TS+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

Fylnn

Do you actually need to retorque the head as part of routine maintenance or is this a leak correction idea?

martym00se72

After about 1000 km's (can't recall exactly what the manual says, but about that) the heads should be retorqued - that is the gospel from the shop manual :D
'83 GTV6 - 3.0 is in! Ohhh yeah!
'99 156 T-spark - Formula 98 ready!

What do people do with their old 2.5...?

four90s

Hi Marty,

Loosen and then re-tighten each one using the same sequence as you did on assembly. Do them one at a time.

Cold engine and make sure there is a little oil between each nut and washer.

Cheers
Steve
Four90s
Too many others to list
(33 Alfas and some other things since 1979)