147 manual twin spark, challenged by a subaru?

Started by extraball, September 20, 2013, 09:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

extraball

pulled-up to the lights today, and a new Subaru beside me (maybe a forester) took-off on green really fast. He either wanted to get infront before his lane ended, or wanted to burn an alfa. Now dont be harsh on me, I havent done anything like this in decades, but I gave my alfa all it had. Even with his headstart........I just beat him lol It happened so fast, but I do recall that I revved it to 6500 rpm in first. This is the first time I have treated it like this......but gees this car can pull hard, and the noise it can make! It sure did put a smile on my face  8)

colcol

This is typical hoon behaviour that the image of Alfa Romeo don't need, [keep up the good work!].
You may have not done it for decades, but i do it every other night to get across a stupid intersection on a blind curve, once you commit to go, you floor it and don't back off half way thru, and the 156 JTS amazes me how quick it can be when you floor it, you get a noise through the radio being the Anti Slip Regulator, [traction control] doing its job, no torque steer, it just goes.
When i floor it i always look at the fuel consumption readout and it usually shows 25 litres per 100 kilometres, i don't know what that is in Miles Per Gallon, but i think its a lot...almost V-6 like.
You need to do this occasionally to clear the cobwebs out, [of the car], but the A.S.R. does such a good job of controlling wheelspin and torque steer, you could almost get away with it in Victoria as not being in breach of the hoon laws, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

extraball

yep Col, everytime I have pushed this car through a corner it has delivered. It's kinda scarey, because I have never owned a car that could do corner like it, and it's urging me on.

colcol

The newer Alfa Romeo's are quite civilised, the older 33's and Suds and Alfetta's are always egging you on to go just that bit quicker into a corner, use a bit more revs to carve up that Corolla or just get up early one Sunday morning to go for a drive through the hills and thats why we love them so much, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Garibaldi

I couldn't agree more although I don't usually get involved in the traffic light Grand Prix, too many faster cars out there. I wait until we hit the twisty bits and leave them for dead. There are plenty of heroes out there who can drive fast in a straight line but not too many that can drive fast around corners.

colcol

The 147 and 156 have an excellent traction control and the engine weight is over the driving wheels for good traffic light grand prix's, just make sure the car you are trying to beat isn't driven by blue uniformed drivers with lots of antenna's, Colin.

shiny_car

Quote from: colcol on September 20, 2013, 10:27:32 PMWhen i floor it i always look at the fuel consumption readout and it usually shows 25 litres per 100 kilometres, i don't know what that is in Miles Per Gallon, but i think its a lot...almost V-6 like.

Hee,hee, had a chuckle here. When I floor the 159 V6 it maxes out at 50L/100km. If the read-out wasn't 'limited', I wonder what it really is! I'm sure the 24V Busso is the same.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

poohbah

As the proud owner of a Busso 24V V6, I regularly give it the boot if for no other reason than to hear it growl. And its nice to surprise the odd Falcodorist or baseball cap wearer from time to time.

Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

gbernard

i thought these types of threads only existed on that other forum . .  ;D ;D

colcol

Is there another forum???, sometimes you just have to clear the cobwebs out with all the restrained city driving and give it some beans, to burn all the crap of the candles as the Italians call them, Colin.

Davidm1600

Is this also not in way also known as an Italian tuneup, wicked  8)
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

ANG156

Well if you got a 159 diesel and it reads "anti pollution filter clogged" it generally means warm it up nice, hit the sport button and then drive the wheels off it. If the cops pull you over just say your unblocking the dpf which is standard procedure for an italian car.