81 GTV2000

Started by Nate Dog, July 16, 2013, 04:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nate Dog

Paul
ive got one alr3ady :)
doenst give a guide as to what compression im supposed to see as near as I can tell.
Read the other post so I didnt do it correctly

Only removed one plug at a time ( all leads off) and throttle closed.

ill do again tomorrow morning

so all4 plugs out and gas depr3ssed allthe way.

thanks guys.

Beatle

Yeah, do it again.  A couple of times cold, a couple hot.  I also like to jump the Alfa battery off another (running) car, just so you get the same cranking power each time for consistent readings.

I have a couple of different Alfetta manuals.  I'm sure the process and specs are in one of them.  Obviously not the one that you have  :(   
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

Nate Dog

Haynes manual with the sedan on the cover :(

Yeah, feel kinda stupid that i couldn't find the setting :/

Anyway,
WSBK on tv now, so no more alfa for tonight..

Nate Dog

So.
now im the proud owner of AC brackets (thanks alfapride. You're a gentleman.)

My question is the 2 front hex end nuts that hold the AC mount. Do I just undo them and replace them with the ones that came with the bracket? I only ask cause they look like they cover the cams, and im not sure if they hold the cams or something. Do I have to bring it to tdc before swapping them over?
Or is it as simple as swap and go?

Nate Dog

Anthony Miller

just swap and go Nate, at least that's what I did with my old Nord.
Now-  '99 156 2.5l V6 (rosso)
         '88 75 3.0l V6 (grigio)
Then- '81 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol whitey)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol brownie)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l TS transplant (ol red)

Nate Dog

Nate Dog

Making progress on A/C instal which is nice,
Need to address my steering/front suspension which is getting somewhat vague, looks like the steering rack is fine, same goes for the tie rod ends, seem pretty solid.
Same can't be said for the right hand side upper and lower ball joints in the drivers side A frame,
think its these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ball-Joint-Front-Alfa-Romeo-Gtv-75-90-Alfetta-Giulietta-TC346-/310535278497
but thats a guess?
Do i need to press these in or are they simply held on with a lock nut?
I can't press myself but if it's simply a case of bolt in and out then should be a piece of piss?

I'll do both sides as these things are usually done symmetrically,  should i look to do the wheel bearings too? seem ok, and i don't have a press so i'd rather not have to do them but opinions please..

Beatle

Hi Nate,

Some guidance in these threads:
http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=7349.msg64163#msg64163 
http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=9448.msg58836#msg58836

I've done the job a few times without a press.  Depends on what tools you have access to.  Sockets, G-cramps, vice, punch, threaded rod etc  A cheapish puller can also come in handy.

Wheelbearing cones can also be done without a press, using a hammer and a decent punch.  But I wouldn't do them if they are OK.  However it's worth cleaning and regreasing.  Just remember not to apply a lateral force to the inner race of the bearing if you intend re-using it.

THINK before you undo anything.....!!!!!!!!! Disconnecting an unrestrained/unsupported wishbone can hurt you.

A handy hint for disconnecting tapered balljoints is the 'two-hammer' method.  It's not always suitable, depends on access, but basically you place a heavy hammer/anvil one side of the tapered joint, and smack the other side with another large hammer. Alternatively, just smack it on the opposite side to where a large casting is attached.  The shock and slight distortion is usually sufficient to pop a taper loose without damage and without loading the balljoint itself, so it's then re-usable.   Leave the retaining nut installed but a few threads loose, that way you protect the threads and the joint doesn't fall out into the dirt.  You need to commit to striking the joint properly, striking it squarely, and striking it once.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDsci-izhhc
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

Nate Dog

So far so good, flat out running business and full time job, but managed to use saturday morning well, replaced fan with modern unit, works much better, crappy old alternator finally managed to charge battery full, so definite improvement.

Alfapride

Nice work!! These little upgrades go a long way!
Alfa 33 16v
Alfa 116 Giulietta
Alfa 116 Alfetta GTV
Alfa MY2004 147 TI
Alfa MY19 Giulia Veloce