105 GT early upgrades - what can be improved?

Started by pancho, September 03, 2013, 08:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pancho

I'd say that LHD and RHD boxes would likely be made by the same company at the same time - why the LHD units crack more could just be a volume game perhaps. I've not found anything concrete out there online. Is your book a US publication?

This thread though is geared towards early 105 GT models - whilst Montreals are very nice they should have their own thread.

McAnnik

Pancho, you are missing the point of my posts. In your very first paragraph of this thread you have asked for "mechanical upgrades" for 105 GTs. The Montreal IS a 105, AND a GT.  Deep down inside and V8 and ancilleries aside, the suspension and steering components are much the same except (and I tried to make the difference clear) the LHD S/box for the Montreal is a special unit made especially for the car and DOES NOT fit any other 105 series car. DaveT's concern in his question was if the steering box cracking problem was likely to occur in a RHD 105 car and was there a remedy available (modification). The answer is no! in both cases,it matters not which make of s/box is fitted.  I have neither seen nor heard of any steering box issues regarding 105 Gt's or any other lesser versions.  I'm sure the racing guys would have discovered something by now, had there been any.  I feel that ANY information should be spread ASAP if it concerns the safe operation of  cars of the type we are familiar with no matter if the thread goes  (slightly) off the desired  path. You ask if my Montreal book is a U.S. production!. No, it is published by Veloce Publications in the UK, I had put the Web address in my last missive for those who may have an interest in getting a copy.   A Montreal thread! good idea. Who's going to start it?  .......................................Cheers.

Craig_m67

I thought the (anecdotal?) evidence pointed to issues with the LHD castings only. Is the RHD burman box prone cracking ?  Anybody know of one ?

I wonder how long AH warrant theirs.. For expected life (50yrs) or 12mths.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

pancho

For mine it's made of the same material just stuck on the opposite side of the car. Less RHD cars, less failures.

And this is an early 105 GT thread - in case anyone actually read the original post.

McAnnik

I have never heard of a RHD Burman S/box ever having the problem as stated by AH. As they have gone to the expense of producing new housings for the RHD units, it seems that 105 series owners maybe driving cars in a potentialy dangerous condition. Anybody else ever found their S/box to be suspect?......Do tell!

Davidm1600

Given that Pancho started this thread and reminded all that it is about early GTs, that flavours the discussion somewhat.

However, just briefly in answer to your query McAnnik, my 1750 GTV's steering has always felt perfect, while the box on my 2L Berlina, definitely could have done with a rebuild, though whether or not it was dangerous is perhaps a debatable point ??
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

DaveT

DaveT & Bertie - 67 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce

Previous belligerent Italians:
92 Alfa 164
72 BS Fiat Spider
69 Fiat 124 AC Coupe
70 Fiat 124 BC Coupe

alfafarm

Hi  Interesting   nearly 20 years ago I went to a concrete plant in Noosaville to remove the steering box from a 2000  berlina sitting on bricks ,the owner I think worked there he answered my ad for the bits to convert my lhd spider (still sitting on a dolly) Imagine after lying in the dirt for a couple of hours and getting home to find later that the box was cracked(not something the vendor would have known) covered in grease etc Probably still have it somewhere incidentally I have a 1750 mk2 carcass that has a steer box with the pivot for the giulia h/brake still on it perhaps fitted to replace a cracked one.    John

McAnnik

I stand corrected!  It seems Burman S/boxes 'DO' have failure problems. As suggested by DaveT, I read the whole thread on AlfaBB. Very scary stuff!  The repair methods as described are sound though! Worth reading...............  Exit, stage left, McAnnik...............

McAnnik

I'm not pinching your thread here Pancho! I have an improvement to 105 door hinge lubrication (all models).......(in fact, a cure for the lack of lube to your door hinges).  There have been many suggestions put forward on other forums but this one is simple and can be done without any dismantling. get your trusty Bunnings el cheapo electric or battery drill and bore a 1/8 in  (0.125) hole in the uppermost portion of the CENTRAL part of each door hinge until you have reached the hinge pin itself. You should know when you have reached that point by feel alone. Get your mate to do this if you think you cannot do this part of the operation. After drilling that hole in each hinge,  countersink  the hole with about a 1/4 drill, it will not need much!. Job done, lubricate occasionly with oil can or a squeeze bottle of sewing machine oil. If your hinges are stuffed and your doors have dropped then you wiil need to rebush the hinges with kits that are available or machine your own to suit to take up the slop. The hinges are only Aluminium and were probably not expected to last beyond 10 years let alone the 40 that we are asking them to do! If your doors have dropped, they can be jacked up by adding some packing washers behind the lower hinge. This , I might add is not a cure for stuffed hinges, it merely allows you to close the doors easily until you do the total repair. (eventually!!!).........................................Cheers.

Divano Veloce

I didn't photograph the box before repair but mine was cracked around 3 of the 4 threaded holes.
1968 Berlina TS
1989 75 TS
1990 75 TS
2007 147 JTD