105 GT early upgrades - what can be improved?

Started by pancho, September 03, 2013, 08:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pancho

So, in an effort to not do the job twice I'm throwing out there what can be done to improve things with regards to mechanical items on the early 105 GT GTV. As things are moving towards the TS conversion I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I found out only recently that the pedals in early cars (with cable clutch) are different to those in later models (with hydraulic clutch) so replacing those is a must if you're headed down the hydraulic route - unless you love one leg workouts. (thanks to Dave and Scott)

Other improvements bandied about are the later bellhousings with screw in reverse switch to prevent oil leaks (Thanks TonyR)

Converting bellohousing studs for threadserts and bolts (thanks Scott)

What other non obvious swaps/conversions/upgrades can be done to improve the breed similar to the list above?

alfagtv58

I know Colin Byrne has an excellent little bracket that the brake cylinders attach to under the car that reduce their tendency to flex in hard brake applications.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

LaStregaNera

66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

Davidm1600

Without wanting to sound like a dickhead, why try and invent the wheel Pancho.  Surely a ph call or email to Max Banks or even a peruse of both the stuff they have let alone a read of his story of the build of his GTA-R will tell you plenty. 

What am I missing ??
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

pancho

So gents, after talking casually the other night - why exactly is the 2 litre 105 gearbox better than the earlier ones ? larger more reliable bearings ? better design in certain areas ?

AikenDrum105

Scott
'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 TS+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

DaveT

Excuse me while I tread on some likely well trodden ground, but what's the consensus on the best thing to do with the driveshaft on an early car TS conversion with 160+ hp.

Patrick I've just been re reading the driveshaft bit in your thread and you've gone with a 2ltr driveshaft with the later support bearing yeah? Was there a reason to go with the full 2ltr shaft, is it stronger or is it just a case of the later support bearing not locating and/or fitting onto the 1600 shaft?

Are the early pillow block supports too floppy to cope with the extra juice?

And what about the guibo, I was planning on replacing mine with a high quality after market version but it seems getting rid of it completely might be the best way to go. I'm blowing AH's horn again but that's what they do with their Race Propshaft Conversion...is this overkill for 'fast road' TS conversion?

DaveT & Bertie - 67 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce

Previous belligerent Italians:
92 Alfa 164
72 BS Fiat Spider
69 Fiat 124 AC Coupe
70 Fiat 124 BC Coupe

pancho

Anybody here performed or know if this modification is a good one to do? Looks like a good new age way to stop replacing bushes - could be much smoother too.

Dave, if you're chasing power then I'd say that from what I've read you'd be best off replacing the early drive shaft with a later one. This is what I will be doing, but not going down the AH route yet, god knows I have money to spend elsewhere and I have a complete NOS 2 litre driveshaft and associated parts already.

branko.gt

Quote from: pancho on September 19, 2013, 10:41:58 AM
Anybody here performed or know if this modification is a good one to do? Looks like a good new age way to stop replacing bushes - could be much smoother too.

Dave, if you're chasing power then I'd say that from what I've read you'd be best off replacing the early drive shaft with a later one. This is what I will be doing, but not going down the AH route yet, god knows I have money to spend elsewhere and I have a complete NOS 2 litre driveshaft and associated parts already.

i'm not sure but this may be of a "better mousetrap"  variety ....
not unlike some AH improvements that seem to "fix" problems that did not exist in the first place and often are actually worse than the original solution provided by alfa ....

AikenDrum105

Quote from: Branko Turk on September 19, 2013, 12:04:09 PM
.. problems that did not exist in the first place and often are actually worse than the original solution provided by alfa ....

So ... Alfa's original solution to a problem that didn't exist in the first place is better than the AH one ?   
Scott
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

ItalCarGuy

Quote from: AikenDrum105 on September 19, 2013, 01:23:40 PM
.. problems that did not exist in the first place and often are actually worse than the original solution provided by alfa ....

So ... Alfa's original solution to a problem that didn't exist in the first place is better than the AH one ?   

Sounds like a known unknown to me :o

branko.gt

Quote from: AikenDrum105 on September 19, 2013, 01:23:40 PM

very funny, i can see how you can intentionally misinterpret what i was trying to say ..

In case you weren't trying to be funny, i should explain that i used term "solution" where i should have said "design" or "engineering outcome". I am sorry about the confusion, too much IT jargon in my world, and in IT everything is a "solution".

AikenDrum105

I intentionally interpreted it the way it read.  I apologise if I made a grand sweeping generalisation.

;D

Scott
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

Divano Veloce

With respect to the idler, Alfa provided a plain bearing which is correct for the speed and load of the idler shaft. They just forgot the grease nipple.
1968 Berlina TS
1989 75 TS
1990 75 TS
2007 147 JTD

Divano Veloce

A pusher Thermo fan frees up a couple of hundred watts but more importantly with the stock fan shrowd removed you can access the crank pully with a socket
1968 Berlina TS
1989 75 TS
1990 75 TS
2007 147 JTD