The first six figure Duetto sold - the new bubble is here!

Started by massiveluvbuddy67, August 21, 2013, 09:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig_m67

Interesting subject. 
I really wanted to comment on the AlfaBB one(s) however find the level of hostility in there these days too rich. 

Why are people getting so upset that the value of a production Alfas (Duetto) might go up, like an early 911T or 23W deluxe Kombi, isn't this a good thing ?  It certainly makes the man maths to restore one easier.  Sure it makes entry difficult to those of us that don't have one (I want a 23W Samba) but that's no reason to say they're not worth it.

As an owner of a Duetto which has collected far to much patina and abuse over her life, I intend to 'over' restore her body back to factory specs using better paint, epoxies and materials where possible.  I personally don't subscribe to the "original only once" cliché**.  It's original because it is. It's not a replica, it has a VIN and history. Paint, panels, driveline etc., are all consumables to be maintained and replaced where applicable in my opinion.

I doubt any amount of money ($100K) will get her out of my families hands again.  Besides, the value of anything is subjective until established by the market.  I value the working '03 156V6 in my drive, nobody wants it, it's going in the bin.

** The VW samba guys take this too far in my opinion, bring it back to it's original condition, don't polish and seal in the dents and rust.

thats all :)

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

ItalCarGuy

Quote from: Craig_m67 on August 23, 2013, 02:32:34 PMWhy are people getting so upset that the value of a production Alfas (Duetto) might go up, like an early 911T or 23W deluxe Kombi, isn't this a good thing ?  It certainly makes the man maths to restore one easier.

Amen brother. ;D I'll be using the rising values of early 105's to justify my case to start on my stepfront GTV to the financial controller!(unfortunately she is actually an accountant...) :(

Davidm1600

Best of luck Derek !!.  I have to say I did manage a week ago or so manage to get the green light from my financial controller to purchase a very large 7 drawer cedar chest of drawers (1850s or so), as it was going cheap and while needing some restoration, which is well within my skill range and history of completion, we actually didn't need it.  Antique furniture somewhat overtaking all available space within both of my historic houses.

But to move that over into the Alfa front, sadly a little more difficult, she seems to think that 3 Alfas and a Fiat are are more than sufficient.  Don't understand her reasoning !
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

massiveluvbuddy67

Quote from: Branko Turk on August 23, 2013, 07:59:13 AM
the new name is fantastic !

out of curiosity Buddy, or should i call you Massive, which one is still a secret ?

Thank you Brother "B",
I prefer "Massive" for my new name as it is an indication of my weakness for 60s, & 70s cars and inversely proportional to my intellect! (Please no support on this matter).
In answer to your question - "the  monster"....
BUT...
I am getting hammered tonight and.... vino veritas...
I may finally assuage my years of guilt.

Got a spare bed?  ::)

Your good friend & fellow tragic,
Massive

David Mills

Got a spare bed?  ::)

No but a fair bit of spare garage space if you need to find a parking place for any of those lovely things.

Well done!