The first six figure Duetto sold - the new bubble is here!

Started by massiveluvbuddy67, August 21, 2013, 09:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davidm1600

Seems a little extreme, given it is not even a duetto but rather a fuel injected 1750 boat tail spider.  Nice restoration for sure, probably perfect but.........
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

RobDee

Four pages of photos here: http://s639.photobucket.com/user/alfaguy/library/?sort=6&page=1

They certainly went all the way.  The resto probably cost them six figures, so a six figure sale price is reasonable.  Try buying an unrestored one and getting it to the same standard, it won't happen under six figures.

In some way I feel the car is a little over-restored.  I think a balance needs to be struck between restoring the car to its original condition and still having the right amount of patina in the right places.

Rob

Davidm1600

Gee I don't know Rob, I can't logically see why it should cost 6 figures and even if it could does it really make it worth that much, or......what the market will accept.  I have seen too many examples where owners have spent far in excess of what a car, house or else might be worth and thereafter attempt to get their money back.  Mostly failing and having to accept a lot less.

Afterall, over $100K will buy you plenty more exotic cars than a boat tail spider, as lovely as they are.  This is the point I was trying to make.

I do agree with you re the over-restored aspect, and that in a way can be a pity as a part of its history is lost forever.  Patina be it re a car, bike, house or an antique is all a part of the mystery and charm that old things have acquired over time, that appeals to me.  Perfection can be a slippery slope to misery in thereafter not actually be able to or being too scared to use and enjoy.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Garibaldi

David, I totally agree. When I first looked at the pictures I thought wow that's amazing but then I got a little sad realizing that something had indeed been lost in the restoration.

pancho

And for that mucho dollarios I'd expect a car that looked exactly like it came out of the factory - which it does not.

Davidm1600

Quote from: pancho on August 22, 2013, 01:03:55 PM
Where would you leave patina ?

Pancho, I know what you mean and yes it is a difficult question to answer, since unlike with antiques restoration, where, even when you are restoring a piece of furniture - its finish, the aim is to leave marks, bumps, scrapes, and any other myriad of possible indications of wear and the passage of time.  But with the restoration of a car, perhaps the option is in terms of keeping as much of the original car together as is humanly possible, as long as functional and in sound condition even if subject to some level of re-finishing, and only replace those parts that absolutely need to be. 

The best cars, and hence rare, in respect of patina are those that actually have never been subject to restoration.  Patina, or a reflection of the age and history of a car takes a car's lifetime to acquire, but of course therein lies the conundrum, because that means they are subject to not just wear (patina) but as well decay (rust, panel damage, mechanical failure, poor repairs, trim falling apart etc).

If I were for instance to consider say my GTV, perhaps rather than your project for instance, the only panels that I would be replacing are the bootlid, which in itself is not original and/or the doors given the level of rust they have.  I wouldn't be taking off panels but rather working around what I have. However, if I were being true to keeping the patina of the car I would be even keeping my original doors and rebuilding them.  The same is true for the mechanicals same engine, gearbox, suspension etc (even if subject to rebuilding), and all brightwork, lights etc (keeping in mind that my headlights have been replaced anyway) and simply tidying them up. 

In restoring a car, to ensure that it not just survives but relives its glory, by the very essance you destroy its patina.   
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

massiveluvbuddy67

In my personal opinion, (which my wife would counsel you all against taking or listening too), the Duetto and the 1750 boat-tail are both Alfa collector gems. They drive superbly, they look gorgeous, they are becoming quite rare.

Caveat: I like, and have, a number of orphans - Espada, Lagonda, Queen Mary - so I am not the best person to ask advice on this matter.

The most important news is I fessed up to my wife that I own the 1900! :D

Only two more to reveal; at the appropriate time!

Evan Bottcher

Phil if you genuinely want to keep that secret I suggest you change your forum name to something less google-able, like bigdaddy67 or massivelulz35... ;)
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Davidm1600

Love it Evan  ;D  yes good advice for sure.  Phil sad to say I too have been there in the past where you are, with cars, antiques and antique "persian rugs" but thankfully I survived.

I agree with your views regarding the duetto/boat tail spider, afterall they came directly following after the 750/101 Giulietta/Giulia series, which sadly for the most part are today either full restoration specials, when you can find one, or mostly very valuable.  Therefore it is inevitable that the duetto-boat tail spiders are going to go up in value. 

However, over $100K - nope not really justifiable in my view.  Afterall, you could buy your Espada for less than that ! let alone plenty of other Ferraris, Lamborghinis, classic Porsches etc.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Barry Edmunds

Many restoration projects go way overboard, both in terms of cost and finish and therefore vastly over-value the vehicle. In terms of justifying the expense involved, that usually ends when someone hands over the money, whatever the amount.
How do you recreate or value patina anyway?
I'm sure that we have all seen the odd restoration that finished up looking 'better' than it did when the car came off the factory production line many years before.
Barry

massiveluvbuddy67

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on August 22, 2013, 06:37:10 PM
Phil if you genuinely want to keep that secret I suggest you change your forum name to something less google-able, like bigdaddy67 or massivelulz35... ;)

I fessed up to another...this group therapy is rewarding!

Many Thanks
"Massive"

Evan Bottcher

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

branko.gt

the new name is fantastic !

out of curiosity Buddy, or should i call you Massive, which one is still a secret ?