How to fix scratched mirrors

Started by frangutz, August 15, 2013, 09:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frangutz

Hey Guys,

my passenger side door mirror has some scratches on the glass (as if somebody has tried to clean it using some steel wool!). The scratches are on the bottom corner of the glass and really bother me when I'm looking into the mirror checking my blindspot etc.

Is there a way to buff them out/hide them without buying a new mirror?

=F.
AROCA - SA Member
Former 156 V6 Owner.... now 147 Monza

Anthony Miller

you can try "Purple" metal polish, I've used it to clear up hazed plastic headlight covers to great success and it says on the bottle "also great with Glass".
Now-  '99 156 2.5l V6 (rosso)
         '88 75 3.0l V6 (grigio)
Then- '81 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol whitey)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol brownie)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l TS transplant (ol red)

ARQ164 Shane

How about putting a small round dome mirror over the top for about $5 bucks
Hi Neighbour,
1973 L beetle "Tilly" sold
87 QV 75 ALFA 2.5lt sold
92 auto 164 3lt RIP
91 white 164 Q
89 164 Q part car

colcol

What sort of car is the scratched mirror attached to?, usual thing to remove scratches, various grades of polish, remember the art of removing big scratches is with little scratches, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

frangutz

Quote from: colcol on August 15, 2013, 08:43:27 PM
What sort of car is the scratched mirror attached to?, usual thing to remove scratches, various grades of polish, remember the art of removing big scratches is with little scratches, Colin.

It's my little 147 baby. passenger mirror. I spent time last night with some polishes. Can't get the big scratch out but I got some annoying blemishes out. I will try the Purple polish that was also recommended to try get the big scratches out. overall ok now though.

believe it or not - from what I saw on the web, toothpaste is pretty good for this kind of thing.... but you need a little buffing tool (like an electric toothbrush....)  ;)
AROCA - SA Member

colcol

You can also use 'BRASSO' as well, but car polishes are good, because they come in different grades of grit, eg no2 heavy cut to swirl remover, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Craig_m67

Or.... You could go online and buy a new heated mirror glass on eBay.co.uk for about five pounds and have it delivered by royal mail in a few days for another ten. $30./ jobs jobbed. It simply clips in with an adhesive backing, they do pop out (without breaking) although it is a nervy job.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=Alfa+147+mirror&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.XAlfa+147+mirror+glass&_nkw=Alfa+147+mirror+glass&_sacat=0

I bought a new OEM heated mirror glass for my 156 last year for £5.99. Indeed I now have two spare if anybody wants/needs one, or they fit a 147 :)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

colcol

I did this job a few months ago, in a roundabout way, the tensioner had come of on the spring that holds the mirror in position, had to remove mirror glass to get at assembly, the glass clips in, but its hard to unclip it from the front, but is easy to clip a new one in.
I would try and polish the scratches out first, and if it doesn't comeup any good, just order a new glass and smash the old [ruined], glass out, it may save you about an hour of swearing and cursing, Colin.

frangutz

Quote from: Craig_m67 on August 19, 2013, 07:41:04 PM
Or.... You could go online and buy a new heated mirror glass on eBay.co.uk for about five pounds and have it delivered by royal mail in a few days for another ten. $30./ jobs jobbed. It simply clips in with an adhesive backing, they do pop out (without breaking) although it is a nervy job.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=Alfa+147+mirror&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.XAlfa+147+mirror+glass&_nkw=Alfa+147+mirror+glass&_sacat=0

I bought a new OEM heated mirror glass for my 156 last year for £5.99. Indeed I now have two spare if anybody wants/needs one, or they fit a 147 :)

Hey Thanks for this. This might be an option too. Actually, I got most of the annoying scratches out... not sure how. But it works ok now.

But this looks like a good option.

=F.
AROCA - SA Member