my first day in.... info on a 156 alfa please

Started by Miss Alfa Romeo, February 23, 2008, 03:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miss Alfa Romeo

hi there... i'm looking to buy my first Alfa Romeo... i like the look of the ALFA ROMEO, 156 2.0 5 SP MANUAL MONZA SELESPEED TWIN SPARK. Can anybody give me some information on as to the reliablility of this model. One i'm looking at has just over 100,000 klm on the clock.  I've read some forum notes on necessary cam belt changes and am wondering if i buy this car is is this belt something i'm gonna need to change real soon! Also how do i know if a model is 'imported'?...  i wait in anticipation...... ::)
Cheers,
Miss Alfa Romeo!

"Plan for your future because that's where you are going to spend the rest of your life" - Mark Twain

Mezevenf

For a 156 I think the timing belts should be done every 60,000km from memory, find out when it had this done last and calculate how long you've most likely got :)

All Alfa's are imported, since they are not built here.

Scott Farquharson

Hi Miss....yes the cam belt should be changed every 50-60k.....make sure you know when the previous owner changed it last.  I doubt you will find any "grey" import 156's in Australia.  I believe that all 156's in Australia were brought in by Ateco the Australian Alfa distributor.  It is possible for someone to privately import a car but there would be little incentive to do this and I can't say I've ever heard of it happening.

The only other thing to watch is the selespeed pump.  The early model pumps will die every 50k or so and must be replaced.  Check if this has been done.  It would also be advisable to check whether the pump is reaching the desired pressure - get one of the well known alfa mechanics in your area to check this for you.  A replacement pump will be $1000 plus new.

Other than cam belt and selespeed 156's are very reliable if serviced regularly.  Watch oil consumption.

What year is the car you are looking at?
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Miss Alfa Romeo

hi there... many thanks for the replys... i really appreciate the information i have been given.... i have located another Alfa 156... a 2001 model.... i have checked the log books and it has had all its regular services!!!... the cam belt was changed at 38,500 kl and it now has 66,500 kl..... it is neat and tidy and in very good condition... one owner who sold it to purchase a late model Alfa!.... the dealer has put on 4 brand new tyres and gives a 3 year unlimited kl warranty!!... i think this is a very good deal!!...  :D
Cheers,
Miss Alfa Romeo!

"Plan for your future because that's where you are going to spend the rest of your life" - Mark Twain