2013 AROCA 6 hr October 19-20 at Winton

Started by Neil Choi, July 28, 2013, 10:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil Choi

Finally have time to pen something down and thank all those involved and giving credit to where credit is due.

Event ran amazingly well, much like clockwork or in Alfa terms, a well oiled twin cam Alfetta 2L.  Or one step better, a quad cam 3L 24 V.

I wish to thank our sponsors for supporting the event.
Fiat Chrysler Australia for the supply of the two beautiful black Giulietta's
Maranello Pur Sang
Monza Motors
Maurceri Motors
PACE Engineering
Fastman Consulting
Angove Wine

Anyway, congratulations to the podium winners.

First Place (and winner from 2012)
Fly'n Miatas of the MX5 Club Victoria.
Team Manager Peter Phillips
Helper Pam Phillips
Drivers:  Robert Downes, Stephen Downes, Noel Heritage, Max Lloyd and Peter Phillips.

Second Place
clubMINI Motorsport of the club Mini (club) (previous podiums)
Team Manager Craig Webb
Helper Andrew McDonald
Drivers:  Chris Jordan, Peter Kaiser, Scott Manson and David Patmore

Third Place
Side Exhaust of the Austin Healey Owners Club Victoria
Team Manager Brian Froelich
Helper Mike Snelgrove
Drivers:  Peter Jackson, Geoff Leake, Shane O'Brien, Steve Pike, Rod Vogt

Best Presented Team
Side Exhaust of the Austin Healey Owners Club Victoria

Winner of the Tony Hawker Memorial Trophy (Highest placed All Alfa team)
Maschi Di Alfa (also inaugural winner from 2012)
Team Manager Gary Pearce
Helper Kate Floyd
Drivers:  John Floyd, Evan Bottcher, Simon Rawther, Neil Choi

The event certainly would not have happened if it wasn't for the hard work of the 6 hr committee crew who met at least once a month (in a pub though), endless exchanges of emails, phone calls and documents to make it all come together so smoothly (we have had seven attempts at it, so we figure we will get it right at some stage). 
I would like to sincerely thank the committee for their dedication to the event and doing what they do best.

The crew consists of:
Neil Choi, Alister Grigg, Colin Thomas, Anthony Sharp, Chris Carra, Stuart Thomson, Joe Ardi, Adrian Huntley, Victor Lee, Alan Hopla, Mary Colautti, Bruno Colautti, John Whittington, Ross Flood, Eric Rigg, Noel Goltz.

The Victorian Flag Team assisted during the event which was much appreciated.

There were many moments and spectacular stories, some great achievements, some great disasters and some great triumphs over difficult situations.  If you want to hear about disasters and hardship and have countless hours and want to be bored, come and have a chat with me sometime.

Lastly, my  very special thanks to Alister Grigg who has been the CoC in seven of the eight Alfa 6 hr's since 2006.  Alister Grigg has developed the style and driven the control of the event to what it is today in quality and command, with utmost importance in safety and fairness.  He is strict on safety and rules but yet compassionate enough to allow participants to compete with the best opportunities and treated all fairly.  In all my event dealings with Alister, the first couple of years were the most difficult as we were entering into a new territory of unknown and being called up to the tower countless times, but as we grew and developed, with more events under our belts, we developed as a team and became a great team.

In thanking Alister for his hardwork, he has also announced that he will be retiring from the Alfa 6 hr committee and the Race Control team.  It will be a sad lost but also a great gain, he will be returning, as a competitor, so I wish him the best of luck when he is called up to Race Control to have a chat with the new CoC in 2014.

I wish also like to welcome Alan Hopla and Adrian Huntley, who have agreed to step into some very big shoes, they will be my CoC's for 2014.  Also welcoming back into the fold will be Doug Gould, a past CoC, he assisted this year and looking rather comfortable to be back in the tower.

I would welcome any club members who wish to join the Alfa 6 hr committee, it is most rewarding, out most Wednesday nights until late, meeting at pubs and listening to all us ramble on how to cut the scrutineering line shorter, how to make drivers behave and not cut the blend line etc etc.