Headlight Upgrade

Started by mfroes, June 15, 2013, 12:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duk

Quote from: kartone on June 22, 2013, 06:18:30 PM
Substantially improved lighting on my 1980 GTV:
1. used the existing light switch to activate one relay (fused) for low beam and one relay (fused) for high beams
2. positioned relays as close as possible to light units
3. used the alternator main connection point found in engine bay (one with plastic cover) to supply power positive to each relay individually
4. each relay has two power positive outputs, one for each light 
5. each light is individually grounded

While at it, by-pass ignition switch which is a source of voltage drop by using it to activate a relay (fused) to power car systems.

I am going a little bit further with my 75. I am using 1 relay with an inbuilt fuse per headlight beam (so 4 relays in total).
I am also using a DPDT 'change over' relay so that low beam is switched off when high beam is switched on.
This has a couple of advantages.
Firstly, low beams are next to irrelevant when high beams are on, so switching them off will reduce the current draw from the charging system.
And if you have the rectangular headlights (like the 75's have), then you will also reduce the thermal load on the headlights themselves.

GTVeloce

I have fitted a 75 wiper motor into a GTV and it is about the same. I have thought about fitting a relay but it is low down on the list of priorities.

I also fitted four relays (two low beam - l & r and two high beam) which was probably overkill but combined with new and beefier wiring plus new connections has made a massive difference. Am going to try some of the Phillips +100 when I get back to finish it off. In the old GTV I had installed Hella lights without relays and whilst an improvement it was not as big an improvement as the relays.

LukeC

Best lights I have had in a Alfa was a '83 GTV with Hella high/low outers set up to change over filaments when going to high. The inners were driving hella driving lights activated by the main beam signal. Everything was through relays. 320W on main beam was pretty spectacular (not actually legal, but I did not know back then).

Headlights looked standard to anybody but those in the know.
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

Beatle

How did you mount them Luke?
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

LukeC

Just the normal method.

They have the same fitment as the normal 5 3/4" hella insert.

http://hella.com.au/cgi-bin/catalogue.pl?flcmd=preview&flmaint=819

This was the car (post down the page):

http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=10442.0

When I had the Strada, I lived out in the sticks in the Redlands shire in QLD and needed really decent lights at night.

My current car has the same Hi/Los on the outers, But good standard outers as the inners. This suits my switch/relay setup as my combination switch was a NOS Alfetta for square headlight cars (got it for nicks).
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

Beatle

What do you mean by 'normal'?  Inserts alone won't work on a stock RHD round headlight Alfetta, so you must have cut the backs out of the Carellos, or used US-market buckets?  If there's a third method I'm very interested to learn about it.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd

LukeC

Yes, as shown by MD above: By cutting the back of the useless Carellos out.

I have some spares at home for when I get around to it. To tell you the truth, the only reason I would do the inners is to make the them match the outers. For what I use the car for, it does not need really fantastic lights.

Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

MD

Strictly speaking, this is not about headlight upgrading but it could be a necessity in the future for some.
Have you noticed the switch from glass lenses to some form of acrylics for headlights?
Yes the manufacturers have been packing them in all shapes and sizes following the changing fashions of style. All well and good I suppose.
In some cases they have forgotten about the impact of sunlight on plastics.

Have you seen the evolution of the yellow and cracked lenses on cars that spend a lot of daylight time facing the sun? Depending on the shape and positioning of these plastics whether on headlights or other external lighting, the deterioration will be greatest on lenses that receive 90* burn.ie. the more horizontal their positioning, the more rapid their deterioration is likely to be.

If your car has plastic lenses, keep car orientation with respect to direct sunlight upon them whilst parked at work in mind.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Beatle

Yes MD, but it's worse than that.    There is no way you'll be able to source any alternative lenses because each one is so unique.   At least the Alfetta has a round light in standard diameter, even if the rear section is unique.

It's hard enough when you have an U rectangular Alfa 90 headlight, imagine something much more complex like the later SUV lights!!!    Plus they all seem to be so vulnerable to damage.

But I guess the idea is that once the car is ten years old it's off to the recyclers.    Can you imagine attempting a complete ground-up concourse resto on say a later model WRX in 50 years time?  Impossible.

Though maybe 3-D printing could be a saviour, of sorts.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd

Doug Gould

I have a set of US style "buckets"to fit standard lights to a GTV6. If anyone wants them, call me. 0419 346 853
08 159 JTS
07 Brera
85 GTV6
72 Montreal
65 2600 Sprint
60 VW Beetle

ausalfista

Quote from: Doug Gould on July 06, 2013, 10:20:10 AM
I have a set of US style "buckets"to fit standard lights to a GTV6. If anyone wants them, call me. 0419 346 853

Hi Doug,
Sent you mail,
Thanks
aa
Alfa, Porsche & Ducati's

Alfapride

Hi all so has anyone tried the Iap upgrade wiring kit? below? I'm keen to do anything to get these original lights looking a little brighter! Is the wiring and relays sufficient or should the lights be changed as well?

http://www.international-auto.com/
Alfa 33 16v
Alfa 116 Giulietta
Alfa 116 Alfetta GTV
Alfa MY2004 147 TI
Alfa MY19 Giulia Veloce

Al Campbell

Quote from: Alfapride on July 07, 2013, 02:41:54 PM
Hi all so has anyone tried the Iap upgrade wiring kit? below? I'm keen to do anything to get these original lights looking a little brighter! Is the wiring and relays sufficient or should the lights be changed as well?

http://www.international-auto.com/

Wiring upgrade probably won't make a satisfactory difference. BUT the 116's (not sure of all models) don't have relays on the head light circuits, which  is asking for a smoked steering column switch if you start upping the globe wattage, especially after 30 years and the contacts are worn, dirty & high resistance. Bizarre that they never had relays originally. Try and find a replacement column switch and then notice the price.

So relays is highly advisable if you are going to upgrade the lights.

Al Campbell

Suppose I should add that the corellos weren't fully sealed. I.e. you could change the globes for other powers (after adding relays :)). The metal seats/mounts for the globes on mine were rusty as, which would make them a big source of voltage drop. Reflectors were stuffed too. So they still woudn't be that good.

You could certainly re-use your corellos if you make sure you remove any rust, clean the inside out thorougly afterwards, paint any non electrical contact bits and then put a bit of electrolyte grease on it to stop the corrosion coming back.  I have heard of people re-plating corellos.

If original looks are worrying you rather than cost, then even the stainless trim rings fit over new glass inserts. An Alfissti will know they aren't original 'cause you can see through the glass and they are shiny and silver rather than aged and tinted yellow and they are brighter than the dash lights.

CameronGeorge

Quote from: mfroes on June 15, 2013, 12:28:38 PM
Hi guys,
My headlights have been cleaned and still dont actually brights the road as good as the newer cars. i guess its the wiring getting to me again just like the electric windows.
searching i was able to find people that have made a custom wiring with relays to be able to power the led lighting properly. so i decided that it was a 2 step upgrade.

1st STEP: wiring
but then i found a kit from international auto parts that is supposedly to do the same thing.
http://www.international-auto.com/headlight-wiring-upgrade-kit/iap-headlight-wiring-upgrade-kits.cfm
do anyone knows if that would fit on a alfetta gtv6 ?
by the installation manual it would need to drill the headlight bucket.
http://www.international-auto.com/images/articles/HWKInstructions.pdf
i was wondering why not take the original wiring out and inserting it by the old hole ?!?
i doubt i would find a more ready-to-fit headlight upgrade for the gtv.

2nd STEP: headlight / reflectors / lights
on the same website i have found some HELLA headlights
http://www.international-auto.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=2564&addcar=1
which i think they are illegal in australia as they look like xenon lights. as i see they are not even legal in US, they are for offroad use only.
then instead of opening my own headlights, opening, cleaning the reflector, etc. was thinking on getting the Standard halogen sealed as they are $9.
would they go well with a good halogen bulb. any suggestions?
i went to
http://www.invisionsales.com/lighting/application/

and it seems that are a couple of bulbs that passed ADR than i thought.
i`d really like a britter light, but not close to blue.
was thinking on a Xtreme power or maybe a vision. anyone have any experience with these bulbs?

what do you guys think about the upgrade? looks like a full upgrade that should make it light up the road like a perfectly new car.

Very impressive update.. I am trying to get new lights and I think I must try these ones.. Thanks again