Are automatic alfas rare?

Started by Sir Lancelot, February 18, 2008, 03:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Lancelot

A friend of mine went to an Alfa dealership, where they were told that most 2002 156s are manual and that the automatic variant is somewhat rare. I was surprised to hear this (particularly since it came from a dealership - although it could be a sales thing) and didn't think this would be the case. I assume by the use of the word rare they mean that there is a significant difference in the number of automatic cars to manual cars - not just a slight one. Can anyone confirm one way or the other?

Scott Farquharson

I guess you are talking about v6 (slushbox) autos not 2L selespeeds (there were no 2L autos).  I don't know the exact breakdown but it wouldn't surprise me if most of the v6's by then were manual.  Initially the v6's only came in auto (back in 99/00), the manual came later.
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

John Hanslow

Well a few of the club members have 156 V6 manual cars from that year.  However there are fully automatic Q sytem V6 models around from 1999 onwards available.

I was suprised when searching 156's for sale on the internet  - the 156 Sportswagons and found a couple of 2002 manual models for sale as they are normally only with the Selespeed gearbox (4 cylinder cars only.)

I did hear that at one stage the factory workers were on strike and this had a an impact on our imports; so perhaps that resultedin a  geater stock availablity of maual cars in right hand drive in 2002?

But, it was a good year for 156 manual cars.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

Sir Lancelot

Thanks guys, massively helpful. Always impressed at the abundance of knowledge on this site.
For others reading this thread, here's a link which explains the Selespeed and Q-system auto/manual systems:

http://www.autoweb.com.au/cms/A_51082/title_Unique-Performance-Automatic-Gearboxes-for-the-New-Alfa-Romeo-156/newsarticle.html

JasonR

I have an 02 156 V6 with the Q System Auto and it's pretty good - never had a problem with it. The gear ratios are a little long but some understanding of it's power bands etc. and you can get around it :)

I'm told that it's a Japanese made unit so i wouldn't expect much problems with it.

Funny I always thought that the manual V6's are much rarer than the autos for some reason.
2002 156 V6 Monza (Q-System)