156 jts mcsf["bugga"]

Started by t-rev, June 07, 2013, 07:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davidm1600

Hi Roy, two places should be able to sort your problems out.  Either Fogarty Automotive in Argyle st, see Steve Caplice.  Or alternatively talk to Monty Reading at Vinaka P/L, 1 Amy Street, Moonah. Ph 62730628.

In terms of where to get the Lambda sensors, my best advice is EB Spares in the UK.  They have a website which is easy to use and they typically post parts (tracked), to Hobart in somewhere between 3-5 days.

What colour is your Sportwagon?  I have had mine for nearly 6 years now, metallic light blue. 
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Roy

Got a black 156 selespeed with a red lether interior. Victorian import with 57000 K's done.

It is in need of a bit of tlc as the former owner did not look after it to well. Just had the timingbelt replaced. Next week I get the selespeed checked out as I can not swich from city to sport. If there is still a bit of cash left after that I have to get the front breakes and suspension done. Think about lowering the suspension a bit to give it a bit more of a sporty ride.

I try to get the lambda sensors over the net and replace them myself.

The last job is the paint work. It has a fair bit of chips/stone damage on the front. I get a quote in for that next week as the car has to go to the body works. I had someone backing up into the back of my car last Friday.

If that is all done it should be good for the next few years.

Davidm1600

Sounds like you are on to things in sorting this one out.   I bought mine in Sydney and drove it down the coast back to Hobart.   Was a great trip.  Good to know there is another Sportwagon here in Hobart, I think that would make it about the 9th wagon here now.   So pretty rare down here, and yet they are so practical.

Bugger re the minor bingle damage etc.  I had Boccinos do some repairs to mine a while ago after I scraped out a side skirt etc on my brother's driveway.  Their work was excellent.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

colcol

You may need to give The Alfa Workshop or EB Spares a chassis number and a engine number to get the correct Lambda Sensors, but i would get it diagnosed before spending money on new ones as it might be something else.
If you replace the Lambda Sensors yourself, you may think you need a 'Lambda Sensor Tool Replacment Tool Set Kit', [as i did], just buy a 22mm ring open end spanner, don't buy a weekend market low quality one or a high end Sidchrome or Kingchrome, i purchased a Trade Quality, [TQ] from Total Tools.
Spray the Lambda Sensors with WD-40 spray for a few hours/days/weeks or whatever it takes to penetrate the rusty threads, then loosen them off with your newly purchased ring spanner.
You will now find that EVERYTHING gets in the way of loosening the Lambda Sensors off, so you will have to cut the ring spanner in half so you can turn it and get to tight places, then after you have cut it in half, you have to turn it into a brake spanner by grinding a slot in the end, to allow the Lambda Sensor wire to pass through it.
So you just use an angle grinder to cut the spanner in half and to put a slot in the end, you are not able to do this with a Sidchrome or Kingchrome as the tears you will be crying at cutting up an expensive spanner will be too much to cope with.
If you use a Trash and Treasure spanner, because its such rubbish it will bend or break or both when you put some pressure on it, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Roy

You really know how to motivate people..... Lucky me that I work at a school where they train cert.II in automotive. I will forward your comments to the students so they know what to do.
Monday I have the car booked in at Fogarty Automotive. He is going to have a look what the problem is with the selespeed and he might be able to find out what the motor control system problem is.

t-rev

just an update,i'v now done 3000 k since and the light has not come on,so i'm thinking it was just dirty connections causing it.Not ruling out the replacement of the lamda's on the horizon,at the moment it's runnin"nice.Now,let's touch some wood!

Roy

What connection was dirty. I live 12 Km up a gravel road so I might have same sort of problem

t-rev

Hi Roy,im not sure.The guy that done it just said that he cleaned up the connections,sprayed some electrical contact spray.This is a common issue apparently and some people recommend soldering the connections to ensure a stable contact .

colcol

It would be the multipin connectors at the front near the radiator, if the car is approaching 100,000 klms with city driving, you may wish to think about replacing the Lambda sensors, if the connectors are cleaned and the error messages don't go away, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]